1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Re-hair recommendations

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by fdeck, Oct 3, 2013.

1. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Sorry if this is covered in an existing thread... I've gotten a couple of re-hair jobs done locally that were unsatisfactory, and would like to know who y'all would recommend for a place where I can send my bows. The main one is a Finale french carbon fiber with chestnut hair, but it would be nice to get my cello bow done at the same time to save on shipping and so forth.

2. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    FWIW I and a number of fellow local bass players have been happy with Nick Caraccio's re-hairs (Kurt Muroki referred me to him several years back).

3. John Michael Smith in St Paul.

Just google for contact info.

4. DC Bass

DC Bass

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    There are many who provide great service here in the DC area, but I was blown away with the work of Donald Cohen: http://www.cohenbows.com/

I would highly recommend him!

Joe

5. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
  6. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Apr 6, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Fishman Transducers, D'Addarrio Strings, Aguilar Amplifiers
    I recently sent a bow to Sue Lipkins for a rehair. She did an outstanding job and turned it around quickly.

7. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i've heard shes the best, and have been meaning to send my bow to her. but i havent needed hair yet..

t

8. MikeCanada

MikeCanada

Aug 30, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Sue's bows are often regarded as the holy grail of bass bows. I have heard similar things about her rehairs as well.

Lynn Armour Hannings (lahbows.com) is in Maine. There are some exceptions, but most of North America's bow makers/repair people have studied with Lynn. (Sue Lipkins and Lynn both studied with Salchow in New York, Lynn went on to study with Bernard Millant in France) I cannot recommend her bows, repair work, and teaching enough.