1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Re-tolex Ashdown head to match Aguilar cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eottjake, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Keep it as-is

58.3%
  2. Make the Ashdown Purple

25.0%
  3. Carrots can be purple OR orange

16.7%
  1. eottjake

eottjake

Jan 30, 2009
    Vandalia, Ohio
    Hey all, I recently got a chance to play my CTM100 through an Aguilar SL410X at Sweetwater and it was glorious. It was a demo model, and (through some finagling) I'm going to get it for a steal...It's also the 2020 Royal Purple model.
    I'm wondering if I should try to re-tolex my head and how difficult it would be. I've looked through a bunch of forums and pages about the process of doing it, just not sure how to find the right color to match it (Aguilar hasn't responded to my inquiries yet).

So right now, I have a bulky black CTM100 on top of the compact, purple SL410X.
    Anybody have any experience with Aguilar purple?

2. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Tolex, in lots of colors. Don't know if they have a good match for your particular shade.

I've re-tolexed a large 1 x15" combo amp, and it was more work than I expected. I had a combo covered in "rat fur" carpeting that was shredded up by my cats, and it was surprisingly difficult to get it cleanly and completely removed. It didn't help that my cab was particle board.

3. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

I have seen some pretty ratty looking Aguilar cabs and read lots of comments suggesting the tolex they use is a bit fragile. Not sure if this applies to the royal purple, but you might want to consider redoing the cab if it does.

Also purple is serious visual statement, while black is generally very neutral. Which fits your philosophy better?

I have so many amps that I don't really worry about matching the tolex and grill cloth. My Orange AD200B looks great! :roflmao:

I find that many of the gigs I played at hotels and event centers had black table linens in various sizes. We frequently used these to make things look a bit more presentable ;).

Instead of recovering either, consider buying a suitably sized linen that can cover the cab when you are really concerned about the mismatch and want to be a bit more subdued.

For everyone's benefit, here is a mashup of a CTM100 with 410 in Royal Purple:
    upload_2020-9-9_19-39-49.png

BassmanPaul and eottjake like this.
  4. eottjake

eottjake

Jan 30, 2009
    Vandalia, Ohio
    Thanks for the picture :D That's about what it looks like. I'm still waiting on FedEx, so I don't have any actual pics right now.

As for the visual philosophy, I do me. I don't buy into the "you need to have a bass/equipment that looks the part" mentality. Yes, it has actually limited me when trying out (showing up for a rock cover band for bars with a 6 string MTD), but I take it as a win since they're too concerned with the looks. My current group appreciates it and accepts it. Also the lead loves the idea of purple.

I'll update with close-ups of the tolex when it comes in.

Al Kraft and Wasnex like this.
  5. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Don't try to improve what is perfectly fine already! The end result will be a devaluation of your amp! :(

Al Kraft and eottjake like this.
  6. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    In color theory opposites are called complementary colors Pairing complementary colors is considered a very intense combination, as they produce the strongest possible contrast. When you mix them, they sort of cancel out.

G0D3Tu_MKaxbLYO3uW07zXORyTERFbBOb8Wz6J8hhviUBCBKqJRd6ONE8dA-P0MbG3YK7Kc0IqWbVRpQKMtmXRtOwp8oTP-P.gif

Just for fun.
    upload_2020-9-11_17-8-32.png
    The Aguilar is closer to blue violet than violet, so the perfect complement is orange yellow. I think the AD200B is close to orange, so we are one hue off. Still I think it looks kind of cool.

Bassdirty likes this.
  7. eottjake

eottjake

Jan 30, 2009
    Vandalia, Ohio
    I think the wife would kill me if I bought the Orange, but I agree it looks pretty sweet.
    I'll keep the Ashdown as is for now. I'll update with pics whenever it gets here.

Wasnex likes this.
  8. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    This actually looks like a nice, professional rig to me and while the colors don't match, IMO they are complementary and pair quite well. I wouldn't do a thing other than enjoy how good it likely sounds.

Wasnex likes this.
  9. thedovewarlord

thedovewarlord

Dec 29, 2010
    NY
    Black and purple doesn't bother me at all, but best to understand what is driving the need to match cab & head tolex.

Are you looking for a project and want to gauge the level of difficulty? Are you obsessive about things matching personally (or concerned what others think of two different colors)? Or are you in a professional band where there are expectations in the aesthetics of your rig?

10. thedovewarlord

thedovewarlord

Dec 29, 2010
    NY
    PS, I missed your 2nd post, so it isnt that you'r obsessive or have aesthetics constraints by the band. It it you are looking for a project and want to gauge the level of difficulty or something else?

11. eottjake

eottjake

Jan 30, 2009
    Vandalia, Ohio
    Honestly I just wanted it to match. The band isn't obsessed with aesthetics to the point where they'd be mad. They like the non-traditional choices we've all made.

12. 6thplanet

6thplanet Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2019
    Indiana
    I think it'd be cool, but I like unique stuff. Some, as you've heard, are content with the norm.

13. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    It's a 2 step decision.
    1) is it yours?
    2) do you like it enough, intend to keep it?

If it were mine I'd match one to the other because I'm a goofball like that. Proud owner of an orange Tolex amp.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021