1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Realist Tone Problem

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by showfeet, Jul 3, 2012.

1. showfeet

showfeet

Jan 6, 2012
    St. Louis, MO
    Hey guys, I have a brilliant sounding 50's Kay. Brilliant while unplugged, that is. My realist is really muddy. I can't get the clicky and nice sound of my Innovation Silver Slaps through it. I play mostly pizz., and they just sound muddy. Any suggestions? I am new to the whole amplification deal.

2. The Realist I had didn't get along with plywood basses. The Upton Revolution Solo that eventually replaced it is much friendlier, but REALLY finicky about how it likes to be fitted into the bridge wing.

3. roll your lows down and mids/upper mids up
    lows - 180hz and below
    low mids - around 250hz - 400hz
    upper mids around 800hz - 1khz

these are approx frequencies... but a decent place to start
    I'm sure others will give great suggestions too

4. Kai Sanchez

Kai Sanchez Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Miami
    A realist on my blonde 53' Kay was barely usable, the notes on thumb position sounded choked, with no sustain. I also had the wilsons which sounded real good, but the Full Circle sounded great!! With a lot of body and fingerboard detail! What a great pickup, at least on my Kay!

5. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Show Feet,
    Unfortunately, the Realist works better on bass that has a solid wood top. Something about the combination of a plywood top, and the way the Realist senses vibrations doesn't match up as well. Hybrid basses, work just fine. I know this because my Mirecourt bass has a laminate back.
    The Full Circle seems to better with an instrument like yours. Just my opinion though.

Ric

6. Treaks

Treaks

Jun 9, 2011
    Maplewood NJ
    I keep going back to my old Underwood. I'm using the GK MB112, and it's warmth (or darkness) is a good foil for the brightness of the Underwood.

7. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Treaks,
    It's a very dependable pickup, and as long as you're happy with the sound then that's a good, thing. It's also a very reliable pickup with good longevity.

As I do both Arco and Pizzicato, I had to run the pickup into both channels with a Y chord, EQ Channel 1 for Pizz and Channel 2 for Arco, and toggle between the two, with the channel selector switch on the amp. Not an ideal solution, as it only works if the music calls for bowing or plucking exclusively throughout the entire selection.

It's much easier to use a pickup that gets both, so I use an Ehrlund EAP and Pre Amp.

Ric