1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reasonable alternatives for a Rickenbacker

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darkhorse9, May 3, 2010.

1. darkhorse9

darkhorse9

Mar 28, 2010
    I am at a place in my life where a $1400 to $3500 bass is just not in the budget. My life is still at the $400 and below limit.

Are there any basses out there that would give a reasonable similarity of sound to a Rickenbacker? My goal is to try and capture that late Beatles sound. The Hofner won't cut it and the budget won't allow the best alternative.

Any advice? (besides get a second job)

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Danelectro, obviously. It's sort of half way between a Hofner and a Rick.

3. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I think that my Dano 63 sounds a lot like the Rick that some ba$t@rd stole from me.

4. Peavey T-40 is the obvious answer at that price point.

5. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    T-40 is obvious.

The Danelectro Longhorn also give a Rick-ish vibe. I found it similar to a Rick but with more "tubbiness."

Or maybe the Ovation Magnum?

6. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    A T-40 Peavey, or an early (first version with 2 single coils) maple bodied G&L SB-2 can do a reasonable Ric impression as well.

7. ExurKun

ExurKun

Sep 29, 2009
    Rochester
    wow im extremely surprised no ones said: "nothing can come close" yet haha :D

8. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    T-40 will do it. Even though my 1st good bass was a Ric (a new 1969 model) I have never understood why they are so much more expensive than other basses of similar quality. I also don't understand why they are so hard to find & why parts are not available easily. They don't advertise much....what's up wid dem?

9. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Well, he's going for a Beatles sound, not Chris Squire or Geddy Lee. Specifically, he said a "late" Beatles sound. I don't know what that means exactly, but whenever I've seen Paul playing a Ric on Youtube it's been a pretty mellow sound.

10. Basstovsky

Basstovsky Stuck on those 4-strings Supporting Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Massachusetts
    My T-40 with both pups in single coil mode did a really good 'dear prudence' sound, its the closest ric sound I've got from a number of basses I've tried, excluding the geddy tone which is easier to get I have found.

11. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    For the late Beatles sound? That's not really to my ears an especially characteristic Ric sound. I'd go Jazz Bass with old flats or tapewounds. That's what Macca played on Band on the Run a few years later anyway, right?

My '51 Reissue Precision, with steel roundwounds or flats, sound a lot like a Ric. Single coils, hand position, eq at the amp.

12. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Practice.

;)

13. I had a maple-bodied Peavey Foundation that sounded a LOT like a Ric. I was amazed at the tones I could get out of it. It was just heavy or I would have kept it.

14. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

+1 for an older Peavey T-40.

I own both and the T-40 can get pretty close to a RIC tone.

15. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    Peavey T-40

16. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Rick tone.. Peavey Patriot... (if you're on a budget)

17. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Warning .. a patriot will need to be setup.. most are dorked with by kids.

18. I think you really need to work with most of the older Peaveys to get them back into shape. I agree that most of them have probably been left in closets, under beds, out in the garage..etc. until their owner decided to throw it up on Craigslist or Ebay.

19. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    +1

20. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Any single coil, active bass with a SansAmp will get you as close as you can get, but in reality, no, nothing sounds like a Ric except a Ric.