1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend a cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by David Jayne, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Hi there. Looking for a one-cab solution, preferably, or maybe a pair of smallish cabs that hits well in the low-mids but runs pretty smooth everywhere else. Not looking for super deep bass but like a decent midrange and treble presence. I want a 'fat' sound that punches but is still defined and sits well in a mix. Cabs I have that aren't quite doing it: SWR Goliath and Golight 410's: Nice cabs but too...... hi fi? A bit weak in the low mids.. Epifani UL310: SWR-like only more, with very strong(too strong) upper mids. GK neo 115.... these are really good-would be perfect if not for the fairly strong spike around 600hz. I could live with this-but would rather not have to. My amps can't EQ it out effectively. One I do like quite a lot is my Schroeder 15+l. It's got the best tweeter sound and creamy upper mids/decent low mids. Really nice overall tone. But it's not enough for my gigs and runs out of low end at times. I'd maybe consider getting another but mine's 4 ohms. Anybody try his 215? Again, not looking for(and don't want) super deep lows, just get me to around 80Hz or so and I'm happy. I guess you could say I'm looking for old-school lows with new school highs- make sense?
    Price not a big consideration. I'd like a taller cab like a vertical 212 or 215. Kinda wanna get away from the 410 format. Waddya think? I have several different amps but I'm pretty into the GK heads I have-they do what I want pretty well but I feel my cabs are the weak link.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  2. Bag End S15D, Bergantino NV115/NV412/NV610 or HD210/212, Baer 115, or if you have a low mid boos on your amp a Fearful 12/6 or 15/6 or Fearless F112/F115.

3. Thanks winegamd, Yeah been looking hard at Bergs and Baers. How about CN Bergs? The light weight is compelling but I'm sure you omitted them for a reason. I've read here thought that they are very 'studio monitor-y' and that's not quite what I'm going for. And the description "a very sweet midrange that is placed a little more forward".......hmm..I know these things are subjective. The Berg 212's are really the sort of form factor that appeals to me. Fearful looks great/much loved but maybe also too clean for me.

4. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I don't know what "studio monitor-y" means.

My CN212 sounds full, fat, warm and punchy with my TH500 and Lull PJ5.

If I lost this one I'd go straight out and buy another.

5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    @David Jayne — Summary: You want "descent midrange and treble presence" and "fat," but not "super deep" but "hits well in the low-mids," but "smooth everywhere else," i.e., "looking for old-school lows with new school highs," right.

Not working are:
    SWR Goliath and Golight 410 ("too hi-fi...weak in low mids")
    Epifani UL310 ("SWR-like only more...too strong upper mids")

You like your 4 ohm Schroeder 15+l but it's "not enough for gigs...runs out of lows".
    You want a tallish 212 or 215 and you like GK heads. Price is not a big consideration.

Questions: Which instrument(s) are you using? Which strings and pedals?

Have you considered trying a graphical EQ? I have a GK MB800 and use it a lot, but it does have a baked-in upper midrange bump than you can not EQ out on the amp itself. That can make the lower midrange harder to dial up.

Since you like the 4 ohm Schroeder 15, why not get another one and a 2 ohm capable amp with a GEQ? This would probably insure you could get what you want.

Naturally, my default answer to anyone saying "I can't get my tone because of my cabinets," is to say "Get a full-range cabinet and lots of EQ."

6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    CTW68 likes this.
  7. Those look nice Jim but I'll be honest- I've become spoiled by my neo cabs. 72lbs each just makes me frown(my Schroeder weighs 35!!!!). Hell my GK's are only 40. Yeah, they might be 'the sound' but I really don't wanna go there if I can help it. GEQ? Eh...maybe but I've kinda been there. I've got amps that do that(para or semi-para)but they don't excite me the way the GK's do(TF550B, SM900, Demeter HBP-1). I'm running a P bass with rounds and either my 800RB or MB500. No pedals. I was messing around with the GK 115's today and they were sounding pretty good...I have a gig Saturday and will try them again(only three gigs with them so far). Maybe I'm just scab-picking. I dunno. Damn ears always changing their minds. :D
    We'll see. Might give Jorg a call and see what he's got going on.

8. Hmmmmm.......TH500 is polar opposite of the GK sound tho.....but your amp/cab is probably a good match, from some of what I've read(some reviews paint the CN cab as being mid-bright and very deep). But some don't, like yours. Dammit and Gahh.

9. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    I love the PH212 that makes up the bottom of my M6 combo. It can withstand punishing amounts of power, doesn't fart out, and just sounds great to me. Then again, if opinions were worth anything, TB could pay off the national debt AND buy everyone a Squire or two...

Raz

Jim Carr, moreblues and CTW68 like this.
  10. Alban

Alban

Apr 8, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Vanderkley 212MNT, vertical 2x12 with tweeter, 600W. Best cab I played in over 20 years. Warm but very articulate.

11. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    Might try a TC RS2-12.

12. The CN 's are more high mid forward and don't have the beefy lows of the HD series. A couple of the HD210's would also be a great choice. Meaty low mids with decent low extension. Polite and smooth upper mid with a clear treble that blends really nicely. The fearful 12/6 alpha without a tweeter may fit what you want very well too. Just eq a bit of mid boost in the 250-300 range and you're set.

13. GK Neo 115 600Hz 'spike' like peak = port resonance. Add acoustic padding on cab surfaces adjacent to and behind each port to largely damp this out. Worked for me.

14. friendlybass

friendlybass

Jul 19, 2012
    Colorado
    I'm surprised the Goliath didn't do it for you, mine has bottom and lo mids in spades with any amp, same with my goliath Jr and son of bertha

15. I fully lined them with 2" fiberglass insulation. Helped. I'm just too picky probably. They're good cabs. I'm thinking maybe I just haven't used them enough yet .

16. You know maybe I'm talking mid mids. 400hz or so. Not much happening there.

17. You might try a little teased out dacron in the tight corners of the ports.

18. You know I just looked again and didn't put any near the inside port termination. I avoided that area deliberately but I guess I'll add some there.

19. SteveV74

SteveV74 Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Peavey

20. friendlybass

friendlybass

Jul 19, 2012
    Colorado
    I know they tend to be relatively scooped, but my basses are so mid heavy it kinda helped balance it out.
    I'd recommend trying some of the higher end Gk cabs that have their older look, every one of those ive heard has sone pretty awesome sound. I dunno much about your setup but id say keep the goliath around while your tinkering you may find the right head or pedal or whatever and make the magic work.