1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend a good quality but inexpensive 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NickFromNY, Jan 2, 2017.

1. NickFromNY

NickFromNY Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I am looking for a good quality all purpose 4x10 cab that I can use in a classic rock band, a new country band, or any other gig that may come my way. Budget is around $500, would love a Bergantino or the like but over my budget... light weight, portable, versitle. I have never been a fan of Hartke stuff, so the Hydrive won't work. Not a carvin or Avatar fan either. Using either a Mesa D800 or GK mb500 fusion head. Want something with low end but also some punch. Some thoughts I had..

Genz Benz Uber410 or Focus 410
    Ashdown ABM
    GK Neo 4x10 or MBE410

I already have a 12/6 and a 15 from LDS, so please no "get 2 112 cabs or a modular 2x 210 set up". Just want a mid priced, good quality, versitle good ole 4x10...

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    How about stacking your 12/6 on the 15 and saving $500? Just a thought.

MTN.bass72, Gearhead17 and Fat Freddy like this.
  3. I think there is a new Eden 410 that is low-priced.

4. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    How about used? SWR, Eden, Mesa, GK, Ampeg pro, Aguilar, Bergantino, Epifani, etc. all perform pretty well and can probably be had for very little cash.

moshspeggeti and matti777 like this.
  5. NickFromNY

Nov 2, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I would love a Berg cn410, but they are way out of my range. I do stack my 12 on top of my 15, just looking for something different

6. NickFromNY

Nov 2, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    And I am certainly considering used, but there seems to be slim pickins locally right now

7. Plucker Tom

Plucker Tom

Dec 29, 2014
    Philly

8. keto

keto

Mar 3, 2016
    Edmonton
    The Fender Rumble V3 is actually pretty damned good.

9. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    My Mesa PH410 is heavy, but sounds great. I like the GK Neo 410, but do not own one - it is very bass heavy, but much lighter to carry. If you can find a Hartke 4.5XL cab it might be worth a listen. I know you said Hartke wasn't your thing, but I liked mine a lot except for the weight and the 4.5 XL's were one of the best sounding lower cost 410's I've ever heard.

10. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    HArtke 4x10 XL, XL series only.

11. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    My thought exactly... ????
    I use my Fearless F210 with a Mesa D800 doing the same music you listed @NickFromNY .. and it flat out works. Easy peasy. And sounds phenomenal
    I'd say use your 15/6, if you need more, add the 12/6 and melt faces

Gearhead17 likes this.
  12. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    The top cab is a 410, bottom is a 212 neo. The 410 is sealed and one of the 8ohm cabs. The 212 is a ported design.

Out of the two cabs, I prefer the sound of the 410 over the 212. The 410 seems more punchy and I love the tone. Both cabs have the baked in midrange voicing, but in a very musical way that sounds great with my P bass or my Spector, both complete different animals. The 410 leans out getting under the E string, much the same way the svt 810 sealed cabs do. The ported 212 does a better job filling out the B string, but I just don't care as much for the voicing of the cab.

The cab I have is one of the 400 watt 8 ohm cabs. Honestly it's enough for club work with a pa.

It's heavier than the 212, and only has one top strap to carry it, which would be a headache if I didn't have a hand truck to move them around.

On the good side, these older cabs are quite a bit cheaper than the new ones and can be found for 200-300 bucks used, or even cheaper. They are great quality cabs for relatively cheap. No they aren't green boy or berg cabs, but they don't cost like they do either. While the 410 is a touch on the heavy side, they are very practical. If you wanted, you could replace the speakers with the neo versions and/or turn it into a 4 ohm cab at half the weight. Sell the other speakers and end up with a great setup.

image.

NigelD likes this.
  13. Mdrummey

Mdrummey

Oct 18, 2015
    Nashville, TN
    I'd look into GK. I've had my 4x10 for over 10 years and had no issues at all. Sounds great!

You can find great deals on used GKs as well. I found my exact cab at a local shop for $400.

moshspeggeti likes this.
  14. CaseyJ

CaseyJ

Jul 28, 2016
    Northern Indiana
    I bought my Hartke 4.5 XL used for cheap on Craigslist. There are pretty much always some 4x10, from the major brands, on Craigslist for under $500. Right now there is 2 different Ampeg 4x10s for $350-400. Another guy is selling his Eden 4x10 and 115 cabs for $550, so the deals are out there.

15. Rapisme

Rapisme Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2007
    RAPISME
    Fender 410 if you can get a V2 version you're money!

OddKnowledge and pudgychef like this.
  16. lfmn16

lfmn16 SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I've got a couple of these. They are nice cabinets, not too heavy, not to expensive.

17. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    GK is what I would buy. If you're really on a budget, then--- peavey?

BurnOut, gfaulkner and Aqualung60 like this.
  18. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    GK NEO 410. I picked a used one up about a month ago. Wired at 4ohms, 800 watts. Amazing.

19. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Ampeg 410HE can be had for under $300 used, if you like the sealed cab sound. I switched a couple years ago and should have gone with them to begin with.

Alex O, Mantis Tobaggan and Phil508 like this.
  20. fourtet102

fourtet102

Jun 20, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    I hate heaters!
    I got my hartke XL for $270 and couldn't be happier. Loud, clean sound. Heavy as my morning pre-coffee head but great buy IMO.

Aqualung60 and InhumanResource like this.