Recommend a pickup to convert to P/J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fletz, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Fletz

Fletz

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    I play a 2008 American Standard Precision bass. LOVE it. Put a vintage fender 58 precision pup in it a few years back. I am now going to my local luthier to have it turned into a p/j. What Jazz pickup would you recommend? I am looking to be able to get a nice blend and will play with them both on most of the time, but I do want to be able to get that slightly "honky" jazz sound on occasion when I solo it. Which pickup would blend best but also solo out nicely? I am leaning toward the Seymour Duncan Antiquity at this time.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  2. RedJag

RedJag

Mar 2, 2016
    San Jose, CA
    Gotta hand it to Lindy Fralin. Since your P is inherently hum canceling, you may want to consider a split J, which Fralin offers.

I have 2 Fralin Jazz pickups in my Jag and LOVE the tone.

3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Lace Sensor Man O' War!

4. Fletz

Fletz

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    To be clear ... Antiquity Jazz II bridge pup is what I am steering toward.

5. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    The Antiquity II pickups are single coil and will result in some noise. The P-pickups are hum cancelling and will be nice and quiet by themselves, but when you add a single coil into the picture you will have some degree of noise when the bridge pickup is blended with the P's and when the bridge pickup is soloed. If you can live with the added noise, go for it. Otherwise be looking for a split-coil or stacked-coil noiseless Jazz bridge pickup.

6. Fletz

Fletz

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Awesome advice! Thanks!

7. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    Personally, I love the SD Antiquity pups. I use a P/J set up on my Frankenjaguar. Yeah, a little hum but nothing real noticeable. Certainly not enough to be a deal breaker. Great sounding pups.

8. RedJag

RedJag

Mar 2, 2016
    San Jose, CA
    I'm gonna still suggest the split Jazz Fralins. I can nail that Jaco bridge tone.

9. JSandbloom

JSandbloom Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Redding, Ca
    Grace Guitars USA
    No no no, get the Aguilar huncanceling jazz. It'll match the p pretty well.

10. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    I suggest trying either the Duncan STK-J2 or the SJB-J2....the STK is humbucking and really sounds sweet and quiet....SJB sounds crisp and nice with very little noise at all....Just went through trying out many setups of pickups for my PJ bass...and found a nice combo in both of them...I prefer the STK tad bit more...Good Luck with your decision.

11. Mosstone

Mosstone

Jun 20, 2009
    I like Fender Super55 jazz pups. They're split coil, but they retain a lot of the single coil edge. Just a touch warmer. I think one of those would play well with the P pickup.

They're no longer in production, but you can still get them new (NOS) on ebay and Reverb pretty cheap.

12. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

They do play well with a P-pup. Having used Super 55's singly (P/J) and paired (J/J), I'd characterize them as, "beefier than your average Jazz pickup." There's still the classic "growl", but they pack more of a deeper "punch".

13. Mosstone

Mosstone

Jun 20, 2009
    Yes! I have one in the neck of my jazz with a MM style HB at the bridge and it can get very close to authentic P-bass punch when soloed.

Malak the Mad likes this.
  14. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Cool! It must sound rather beastly, no? :thumbsup:

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021