Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

recommend me a bass head!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by mike_odonovan, Jun 10, 2005.

1. I currently 2 EA cabinets, the VL208 and VL110.
    I play double in jazz combos 2/3 of the time and electic 5 string in a funk band the other 3rd. More rarely i double.
    don't have much experience with amp heads so your thoughts much appreciated.

2. Do you need to switch back and forth on the same gig? If so, I would suggest something with two channels, and indepedent EQ for each. Do a seach here for EA (iamp-500 or 800), AI (Focus) and Walter Woods. The Focus and Woods are available with 2 channels. There have been several threads discussing the pros and cons of each.

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Euphonic Audio iAMP500 would be a fantastic choice for versatility, clarity, and volume. You could also go for an Acoustic Image Focus. Tons of power, but less tone shaping. A very smooth and natural sounding head however. Both are great, depends on what you are looking for.

4. Get an EA. Pairing it up with the EA cabs is pure magic!

5. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    You could get a Glockenlang "Soul" head. That's what Christian Mcbride uses, according to his site. But they're rather pricy.

6. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Glocks aren't really "flat" sounding amplifiers. They are a super hi-fi amp, however I think that EA are better suited for the Double Bass. Christian McBride told me he uses the Acoustic Image Clarus for DB.

7. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Walter Woods, Acoustic Image, Euphonic Audio. Read the posts on them all. Find someone who has one, try it out. Buy your favorite. Can't loose with any of them, they are all great.

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    What my uncle, the toad, said.