1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend me a decent bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SKArface McDank, May 13, 2011.

1. SKArface McDank

SKArface McDank

May 13, 2011
    First of all, I've owned an Ibanez sr300dx before, I bought it for 60 and sold it for 90,(how foolish of me). It was a great bass, but I was limiting the hell out of my playing by only being interested in few ska songs that didnt even have good bass lines, and trying to emulate a stand up bass. So I sold it to get a Jackson DKMG, and ended up hating the ****ing thing, and now I cant ****in sell it.

Now, I want another bass, I know im not going to get a deal like I did before, but could you recommend a good bass That's not really more than $150 used? Im planning on replacing the stock pickups with GFS pickups, So I really just need one with a good neck and hardware.

Fire away please

Could you also give some insight into the different bass pickup configurations and how the tone differs?

2. $150 is pretty limiting for what you want, you may want to think about saving some more money. Having said that, i believe the Fender P-Bass was initially created to emulate the standup bass. While $150 probably wont get you a fender, rondo music sells P Bass knockoffs that are in that price range like here Rondo Music Bass Guitars

3. SKArface McDank

SKArface McDank

May 13, 2011
    sweeet, I totally forgot rondo sold basses.
    Youre on UG also right?

4. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    You wont be able to get a nice bass out of the box (new from a store) for $150 unless you play a lot of basses to find the right one.

Cheap basses usually skimp on setup, electronics, wood, and hardware.

But for about $200 you can pick up a yamaha rbx-170. It will be solid and upgrading the pickups will make it nicer. It;s got a slim neck like a lot of ibanez's. It will have a better setup and be a better quality bass than a rondo for only about $40 more. The better setup alone would make it worth that.

The other option is to get another cheap ibanez.

5. SKArface McDank

SKArface McDank

May 13, 2011
    well I realize that it cut off in my first post, But I said $150 used, I've never bought an instrument new,
    I like finding them somewhat old, so you know how they've held up, and theyre considerably cheaper

that being said, can you recommend any others?

The rondo headstocks are atrocious,
    their sales would increase substantially if they changed that garbage even just a little

6. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
  7. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
  8. SKArface McDank

SKArface McDank

May 13, 2011
    ah, sorry I didnt say, but im not really into the stand up emulation anymore, my brother has a stand up at a friends house now.

I found an sr300dx for $110 on the used.GC website, like my old one, but it has 3 knobs instead of 4 and active pickups, how would you say it compares to the yamaha?

thanks for the help by the way

9. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    yamahas and ibanezes are about the only basses I would buy used for under $200. Maybe a Peavey but only if i played it first. A recent used squier would also be fine.

i would look on craiglist and find something local. look for yamaha or ibanez

10. Rwelch76

Rwelch76

Apr 6, 2011
    2 cents: just received an SX Ursa 2 maple neck 3TS in sunburst w/ black pickguard from Rondo. Purchased from Amazon.

Pros: neck feels and plays like butter. Body is almost identical to the Geddy Lee Fender. Pickups sound fine to me - so far. Headstock better in person vs online. $149 + ~ $20 s/h.

Cons: A few minor cosmetic issues on the edges of fretboard near body. Inlays look kinda cheap. Strings are subpar.

This is my first SX and so far, I'm very pleased. I think you'll be surprised at the quality of these basses.

11. SKArface McDank

SKArface McDank

May 13, 2011
    aaah, Im really liking the price on this ibanez I found... it's only $120 used from guitarcenter

I have $150 in the bank, should i pull the trigger?

12. What Ibanez is it?

ATKs are nice if you can get them for that much used.

13. SKArface McDank

SKArface McDank

May 13, 2011
    it's an ibanez sr300dx, the 3 knob version

Im mainly going to be using it to play ska, blues, and jazz.
    Am I looking at the wrong style of bass?

19_59_5254.

or would a double humbucker bass be more suitable?
    [​IMG]

14. I just bought an Ibanez SRX 430 (same as the 2 humbucker one you have in that pic but different color) as a back up and I'm quite happy with it. Very versatile. The preamp is 2 way (Bass and treble) but combined with the 2 humbuckers you can get lots of sounds out of it. Is also light weight and very comfortable to play. The necks of the SRX lines are wider than the SR line and that is another reason why I picked the SRX430

15. SKArface McDank

SKArface McDank

May 13, 2011
    bakersfield, california. I cant find anything decent here, only a chinese squier p bass, and the chinese squiers are garbage.

16. SKArface McDank

SKArface McDank

May 13, 2011
    i didnt literally mean nothing, I just steered away from all the basses that reviews agreed were garbage

17. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    There's plenty of decent bass guitars at affordable prices. to name a few, there's the Ibanez soundgear basses, dean edge basses, peavey millennium basses, fernandes gravity x basses, douglas web825, sx basses, schecter stiletto, and the schecter raiden. these basses are affordable and they provide awesome sounds. you really can't go wrong with these basses.

18. SKArface McDank

SKArface McDank

May 13, 2011
    Ive been offered a squier p bass, the first four of the serial are 0003 so i think its a 2000.
    he wants $50, think its worth it crystalmethman?