1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend me a Reverb pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by totallyfrozen, Jun 1, 2014.

1. I'm looking for a Reverb in pedal form that will allow the reverb to decay naturally after I kick the effect off. I want to be able to play staccato notes over the decaying reverb so I need a pedal that will allow this.

I've heard the Boss RV-3 will allow this but I'm not sure if that pedal is one of Boss's hits or if it's a dud. Some Boss pedals are pretty legendary (e.g. OC-2) and some are pretty pretty awful. Outside of that one Boss pedal, I'm not really familiar with what players are using. In fact, I'm not very familiar with reverb units at all aside for the spring tank that I had in my Marshall guitar amp.

2. TC Electronic Hall of Fame.

3. Thanks.

4. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    Hall of fame is a good one. I'm intrigued in fuzzrocious new reverb prototype.

5. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    The Strymon Flint powers up in analog bypass mode (in which reverb tails persist) if you turn on the pedal while holding down the reverb bypass button.

6. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    As am I. That oscillating loop sounds killer! But I would go with the IE Nimbus or the Zoom 70CDR. I always push the same stuff haha. There are other great reverbs out there but these are the two that come to mind when I hear reverb. The TC HOF is a pretty good one too from what Ive heard. Only messed around with one for a little bit a local GC.

7. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    Simple: IE Nimbus

More complicated yet still affordable: SA Dimension

Complicated yet very affordable: Zoom 70 CDR

Money is no object: Strymon Blue Sky

Money is no Object and you have a PT Grande half empty: Strymon Big Sky

8. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Forgot about the SA Dimension. Good call Shuman.

9. I don't think the Nimbus does trails. But I forgot about the Dimension. May as well throw the Neunaber Wet on the list.

10. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    The HOF has to be one of huge most flexible reverb pedals that I have ever come across. If you only need one kind of reverb at a time (like me) then go for the mini. Otherwise go for the full package. I love the TonePrint function on both. Every time I zap a new sound to it, I am just amazed that it works. And there are literally endless possibilities with the free software.

I have the Boss FRV-1 - the pedal made in conjunction with Fender to get as close to deep dwell Fender spring reverb in a one pedal form. And I can't say that I hate it or love it. I think I need to spend more time with it before deciding to bin it. I like the reverb it has but it's not particularly flexible. It can do that "touch of reverb" thing pretty well and then the DEEP totally washed out thing well. And not much in between.

blindrabbit likes this.
  11. JustSomeDude

JustSomeDude Supporting Member

May 2, 2014
    Nashville, Tennessee
    HOF sounds great.
    Tried a friends and have my own on order.

12. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    Wet Neunaber is the only choice. And you can customize your own tone.

13. I would have to second the Wet Neunaber

14. I've been hearing good things about these pedals and I like the demos I've heard--as far as guitar goes. So far, I've found no demos of anyone using it with a bass (on YouTube anyway).

I'm getting pretty curious about this TC HOF since so many people are praising it.

Sent from my iPhone 5c using TalkBass mobile app

15. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    They are pretty great pedals. I have the mini as I only really use one kind of reverb - I think my favorite print is the plate print. It's the one that has been on there the longest without me changing it. But to be honest - the Toneprint function is so cool that I find myself changing just to show it to people. Pretty amazing.

If you need more than one kind of reverb on hand, I would get the full blown version. I am surprised there are no videos of the HOF being used on bass on youtube as it is pretty damn popular with the bass players I know.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with TC

blindrabbit likes this.
  16. I meant that I haven't found any videos of the Boss FRV-1 used with bass.

Sorry. When I went back and read my post I saw how confusing it was because i was talking about 2 different pedals but I didn't specify.

Sent from my iPhone 5c using TalkBass mobile app while on the toilet in McDonald's (cuz you wanted to know that)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  17. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    HOF mini if you prefer compact :)

18. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Source Audio SB2 Dimension Reverb doesn't do trails either, unless if you hook up an expression pedal to it and set the control parameter to reverb send, effectively "faking it."

19. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    There was a discussion about that in the SA thread today. Apparently it does, you have to change the bypass mode.

20. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i have both the hall of fame and the SA dimension reverb. while both are great, I prefer the SA pedal by quite a bit.

mtb777 likes this.