1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recommend me an amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hyde, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    I'm planning on upgrading to either a halfstack or a 410 combo pretty soon, but I'm having trouble finding one that I really like in my price range. Basically, I'm looking for enough volume to keep up with two electric guitarists and a very enthusiastic drummer, and as crisp and clear a tone as possible. I don't want a harsh, clicky, bright tone, I just want to be able to hear each note clearly. There's nothing that annoys me more than when I'm playing a good bass part mostly on the low E, and it just sounds like mud. About the most I can possibly spend is $1200-1400.

2. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    Ashdown baby

3. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    Well 1st of all ... a separate cab and head is probably your best bet ... my first choice in a head is Ashdown but they are kinda pricey ... atleast for the ABM series Ampeg is good too and are more reasonable if you get the say the B2 series ... but dollar for dollar I like the Gallien Krueger maybe a 700RB II.

A 4x10 cab is kinda the standard now and ther are lots of good ones out there. Carvins are pretty good for the $$$ and lots of folks talk well of Avatar ( I have never see one ) I mostly use SWRs and always buy them used.

As a total package ... I like to use a 2x10 cab on top of a 1x15 ... something like the Carvin RL-610 system .

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=RL610&CID=BA

Good luck ... and remember advice is worth just what you paid for it ... use your own ears and trust your own judgement.

4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

I had the same exact situation as you, and chose my rig accordingly. It is even exactly in you same price range.

I decided on the SWR WorkingPro 700 paired with and Avatar B410 Neo. Best decision I've ever made in regards to best bang for the buck.

5. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I would have to say go with a GK1001 rb head...No mud there.I am running the 1001 rb head through a SWR goliath jr.III and an SWR SOB 115.......BOY DOES IT KICK BUT!!!!!!
    pluse it is not to bad for price and very eazy to move around.I have finely got the punchy full rounded sound i have been looking for ...for a very long time.Can't go wrong with a 210 115 setup.Best of luck on your sure though;) Cheers Mate!!!

6. Mesa Boogie impluse series maybe. expensive, but in your price range.

7. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    Thanks for all the helpful advice. The Avatar cabs intrigue me, do they actually sound as good as the reviews I've read would indicate, or do you really get what you pay for?

8. Robbiethebassis

Robbiethebassis

Mar 29, 2006
    Ampeg SVT. 100%. I just bought an Ampeg SVT-CL, and an Ampeg SVT-410HE. they are amazing.

9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'd go for an Avatar cab with either an Ashdown, GK, Mesa (if you can afford it), Kustom, or Traynor head. A rack system may be in your price range as well. And, as always, look used. I got my Mesa 400+ with a 215 cab for just $1000 used.

10. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
  11. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    Traynor yba200 and your choice of a cab. That would leave you very well off.

12. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    Or pick up a piece of vintage Sunn gear. You'd be surprised at what 60 tube watts can do.

Paging The Ox.

13. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    I've been able to play through most of the amps that have been mentioned so far, and while I like some of them (especially the Ashdown and the Traynor) I still haven't found quite the right sound. How does Aguilar compare to the other amps that have been mentioned in terms of tone? I've heard it described as "SVT with less mud", is that pretty accurate? I also haven't gotten the chance to play through a Carvin, what with them being factory-direct, can somebody compare the tone of the B1500 head to the other amps that have been mentioned so I'll have some idea if it's worth me looking into more?

14. Do a search on Carvin B1500. SMASH has posted a lot of material on his recent experience with it.

15. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    After reading SMASH's review of the B1500, I'm quite impressed (although for financial reasons and the fact that I really don't need that much wattage, I would be inclined to go with the B500). I was browsing Musician's Friend today, and I found the Aguilar S410 cab pretty cheap. Has anyone played the B500 or B1500 through Aggie cabs before? If so, did they sound good together, or would it be a better idea to stick with, say, all Carvin?

16. I say Avatar cab(s) then putting the rest into a good head used.

17. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I think the B500 has been replaced by the B800.