Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommend me some Watt

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Unfortunately, I have had no exposure (that I recall) to Mike Watt's music. I have read fantastic things about Mr. Watt, Firehose, and The Minutemen. I have been meaning to check this stuff out based on reputation but haven't yet. I have pretty broad taste in music. I recently was talking with a musician about starting a project that combines elements of Southern Rock / Country / and older heavy music - specifically Black Sabbath and we're thinking that while it sounds like a strange mix of styles, we think we can blend elements from these influences as they are all really blues based music. I am now more interested in ever in hearing how Mike Watt blends different styles in his music. I have heard the Minute Men's album title "Double Nickels on the Dime" mentioned in a few posts on this site and I thought that was a really clever album title so I was going to start there - but my local music store didn't have that album but had several other Minutemen albums. I bought one (about an hour ago - haven't listened to it yet) ..I don't recall the title, but it was from about 1984 (I think) Please recommend some of Mr. Watt's work, particularly albums that are good examples of Watt's ability to blend different influences into his music. Thanks.

2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Corona (the Jackass Theme Song)
    Down with the Bass
    Sophisticated B***h
    Slack Motherf***er

The last three are some of my favorite Firehose songs, but I do not know for sure if Watt plays on those or not. Sorry I don't know any albums to check out, but those are good songs.

3. Hey Matthew,
    I'm glad to see you want to immerse yourself in some Watt! He is truly amazing. Let me recommend the following:
    The Minutemen, Double Nickels On The Dime
    Any fIREHOSE album, but especially Ragin', Full On and Flyin' The Flannel
    And Watt's second solo album, Contemplating the Engine Room.
    The albums by Dos are fascinating, too. They are bass duets by Watt and his ex-wife, Kira, the former bass player for Black Flag. A lot of the duets later became fIREHOSE songs. It's really cool to hear them in their primitive form, and it makes it eminently clear how Watt wrote such great songs from the bass on up.
    Have fun!

4. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    "Ball Hogg or Tugboat" is very diverse with several guest appearances (Novaselic, Grohl, Vedder, Thurston Moore, J Mascis, etc.) and exceptionally good.

Though, he's currently in the studio right now recording with another of his projects the secondmen. After seeing them play I can't wait for this album to be completed. Their my favorite Watt project to date.

I'd also highly recommend The Minutemen album "Double nickels on the Dime" which is a double CD and some of Watt's greatest work showing his ability.

Hell, there all good but these are my favorites. ;) :bassist:

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Dave is right on! He enouraged me to get into Watt a couple of years ago. I didn't know what I was missing. I have really grown to like his stuff a lot. He doesn't get as much recognition as some other guys, but he is an amazing player.

6. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm a huge Watt fan but I just can't seem to get into Firehose. I love the music but the singer kind of turns me off due to his style of singing.

I also seem to have the same exact problem (<------note that I said problem *puts on flame retardent clothing*) with both Rush and Dream Theater too. :crying:

Anyone else out there have this problem?

7. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

My old roommate was a big Rush fan. He used to affectionately refer to Geddy's "screaming woman vocals". Rush is an acquired taste. I just wanted to post the screaming woman thing so that I could get flamed too. ;)

8. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I always thought tone-deaf leprachaun myself. Mabye, we should stop at this point Matthew. I'm feeling a little like Custer right before the indians arrived :bag: .

The mans a hell of a bassist though! (That should hold them off for a little while :D )

9. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Well I mentioned that I had picked up a Minutemen album on my lunch break today. I was going to wait for the ride home to check it out so I could do it right (high volume, no distractions) ...but I couldn't wait. I am listening to The Minutemen's 1984 release: The Politics of Time. So far so good - I'm liking this. It really is like country meets punk. The bass playing is great - so is the drumming (George Hurly) Holy ryhthm section Bat Man! I'm digging this and I've only made it through 7 of the 27 tracks. Please, keep the recomendations coming - I need to know which one to look for next, now more than ever.

10. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I highly reccommend you see Watt live w/ the Secondmen. I did and it's one of my top 5 shows of all time.

Also, a lot of their earlier stuff is a little more cathartic than "Double Nicks," I highly reccommend "Buzz and Howl under the Influence of Heat" and "What makes a Man Start Fires?" high quality stuff.

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I second "Contemplating the Engine Room" !

I haven't listened to that in a while, I broke it out today at work and fell in love with the album all over again! I'd recommend you go ask the man himself, but he hasn't been on his board in a long time... :(

I guess he's recording with the secondmen now. So that's a plus.

12. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    Secondmen were killer live. I'm excited about a cd.

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    fIREHOSE's Ragin Full-on is the starting point I always recommend.

got broadband?

goto http://www.corndogs.org/ Legal & Free Watt and friends live!!!!

14. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Ragin' Full On.

Love that album.

15. Well my nick should reveal my answer. Double Nickles On The Dime is my fav. record period, and I own about 4k+ CD's and 1k vinyl.

I pretty much dig everything Watt has done with the exception of The Boostrappers record(Elliot Sharp and George Hurley) and I still haven't given up on it. I know one day I'm going to revisit it and I'll finally get it.

So as an introduction I'd get Double Nickles, the maybe Introducing The Minutemen if you want to explore the rest of thier catalog. It's a pretty easy to find comp. Ball Hog or Tugboat (his first solo release) is pretty amazing and features a ton of great players.

16. Oh yeah..and oike homeboy above me said, check out Dos.
    I've been lucky enough to see Watt live over 50 times
    and some of the Dos gigs are my favorite.

17. I just scored tickets to see Watt and the Secondmen in Atlanta on May 13! :bassist:

18. Hmm..that's odd, because Watt always posts his gigs on his
    site. www.hootpage.com and it's not there. Maybe he's setting up a tour to support the new record.