1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recommend me something... "different"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr. Lovejoy, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Go to post 84, to see the winner.

My Sadowsky MV5 pretty much covers mostly everything in both function and tone. I can go from Jamerson to Lemmy tones with one simple pull of a pot and twist of a knob so I have versatility covered. The B is functional and provides a great ramp when I just want to play on the top four strings.

There is a problem however: it is incredibly useful and technically the only Bass I will ever need, but I feel that I am missing something. Something "different" if you will. Something not necessarily functional, but "fun." Something for "me time" when I want to just toy around. Something to get my creative juices flowing when I am in a rut.

But enough of that silliness, I'm simply looking for something uncommon. Possibly a short-scale Bass. Possibly a semi-hollow Bass. Possibly a Bass with a very atypical tone. Possibly something you just can't get anymore. Whatever it is you have to share with me, just let your collective imaginations run free.

The only thing I ask is that the item costs no more than $1500 used (exceptions for exceptional instruments of course), and also has a thick or cutting tone.

That said, I have come upon a few models I think would fit the bill I would like some opinions on:

1967 Fender Coronado I
    [​IMG]

I'm interested in this Bass because I imagine it will give a unique tone, but I wonder if it might end up getting buried in a mix.

1987 Kramer Spector NS-2
    [​IMG]

A classic in it's own right I'm sure.

Ric 4003 with Badass bridge and new bride PU
    [​IMG]

I never liked the sound of the stock Ric bridge PU nor did I like the feel of any Ric stock bridge. This might just be the Ric I would like.

1969 Yamaha EB-2 copy
    [​IMG]

Not something you see everyday for sure.

1974 Guild JS-II
    [​IMG]

Looks to me like the child of a Wal and and EB-3. I could probably have a lot of fun with this one.

- 1981 Ovation Magnum III

Magnum%2BIII.

It's soo ugly, it's beautiful.

- 1967 Hofner 500/1 death metal signature bass

[​IMG]

It is quite uncommon that an entire genre of music gets a signature instrument, but they made an exception for this beast.

2. i like your taste, sir! i am also a fan of funky basses

how about a ovation magnum?

[​IMG]

3. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Humm. Of those Id probably pick either the guild sg'ish bass or the kramer spector.

4. Good choice, I have found a lot of those.

They are so ugly how can you not love them? Plus that pickup seems even bigger than a Gibson Mudbucker.

5. indeed, i have been coveting them for years now...of course, the days of finding them for $400 or so are probably long gone...

i assume you are familiar with the peavey T-40? not uncommon, but not something you see everyday either....thick tone is a definite yes, and it may be the most aurally flexible monstrosity ever unleashed on the general public...definitely fun to fiddle with

and then you have any of of several million bizarre japanese basses (honorable mention to yamaha for creating basses that will never, ever balance on end)

6. subbasshz

subbasshz

Aug 11, 2012
    phoenix az
    Im addicted to punishing volume.
    holy god thats pretty. . . .

7. I saw a few T-40's but I always figured they weighed somewhere near as much as a small car.

8. a good T-40 does make a p-bass feel like a steinberger, but then that's what sitting down is all about

9. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Don't we all? :smug:

Seriously, if your Sadowsky Modern 5 does everything you want & need, and you're not GASsing for an additional instrument for any practical reason, then it really doesn't matter what else you get, does it? Because it's all for novelty, more or less... :meh:

I don't think I've ever owned just one instrument that "does it all", so for me - and those who think like me - having at least two to three (or more) separate instruments, each one spec'd out and specified for a particular purpose, or range of purposes, is most practical - and covers the widest sonic/application territory practical, with the smallest number of instruments. But to each his own...

MM

10. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I'd recommend a nice HB or a Rob Allen for something completely different sonically, but still fun and useful. With flats you'll be using a different sonic palette and they are often really fun and expressive instruments.

The Coronado does get buried in a mix, IMO. Maybe better off with a Harmony H22 or H-27, a Kay RI, an Italia or Hofner style instrument.

I would look for a used Rob Allen MB-1 but that's just me.

11. I just heard some clips of some of the Basses in this thread and I am in love.

I was shocked that clips of how clear the hollowbody Basses shown in my OP sounded. I was expecting mud piled on top of mud, but it sounded very "open" or naturally "scooped" if you will. I really liked that Coronado.

The Kramer-era spector NS-2 sounded like a brighter Ric in the clip I heard. And the 4003 loaded with SD replacement pickups was much more subdued than a more standard Ric.

The JS-II was really thick, but most importantly also clear and defined. Not sure how to describe it... it was like an EB-3, but good.

The best was that Ovation Magnum by far though... I- I think. It's hard to tell if it honestly sounds "good," because it sounds much like it looks: hard to describe. The Bass transports you into a far off land deep within your mind upon being hit by the first note... and while the journey is fun, it is hard to tell how being slapped to death by the Mad Hatter wielding a rotting fish translates into Bass tone exactly. *ahem*

The main thing is that I don't find the Sadowsky all that interesting. Much too straight-laced.

Also, I find I play much more naturally on short-scale 4-stringers. I'm just looking for another tool for my toolbox, one that sounds just as unique as it looks.

HB?

And aw, that's a pity, the Coronado looked so good.

But more importantly, how quickly would someone smack me if I started playing Motorhead on a Hofner 500/1? Sounds pretty good though, and I found a late 60's one in my price range... thanks for the suggestion!

12. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    It's funny, but when I read your description of what you're looking for, Birdsong was the first brand that came to mind! Check out their Embrace model too.

Alternately, since you mentioned something that would get your creative juices flowing, consider a multicourse bass: an 8-string, or a 12-string. Waterstone, Ibanez, Hagstrom, Carlo Robelli, a few other brands can be had fairly inexpensively.

13. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
  14. Something Steinberger, perhaps?

15. Oh I definitely like Lakland, I am just not a fan of their insistence of making every skyline with Chi-Sonics in "transparent burgundy" :rollno:

The price on the Embrace is nice, but I would not be able to trust myself on an unlined fretless.

Not really my scene.

16. soxhats

soxhats Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Incredible. As I read your post, I thought: "This is what my late 60s' Yamaha SA-70 does for me." And then, there's the photo showing that's one you've thought about. Mine cost me (drumroll) $350! I looooooove the thing (would never ever sell it) and its tone/feel indeed is something the Sadowsky or my other basses can't do. Here's what it sounds like, in fact: (Played through a Genz Benz Streamliner 900 head and GB Focus LT 210 and 115 cabs.)

17. Sounds nice.

How much does it weigh? And does it neck dive?

18. soxhats

soxhats Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Weighs 7 lbs. 11 ounches. Y'know, I was concerned about neck dive, but mine really doesn't. I got a call about this bass from a local guitar shop several months ago. I was kinda foggy about the model, but went down there. Played it for 20 minutes, then paid and ran out of there like a thief (the seller was extremely motivated).

19. Get a cheap(ish) Danelectro Longhorn? It's a SS and 'different' and FUN!

For a SS hollow body, doesn't Ibanez make a semi hollow Art Core SS bass? I remember those things looking gnarly in certain paint jobs.

(I think that is my first time ever really using 'gnarly')

20. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    Check out a birdsong fusion. Thick tone and very unique.