1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recommend on 5 string bass (soapbar) $1800-$2500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yenjaytaiwanbass, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Yenjaytaiwanbass

Yenjaytaiwanbass

Sep 8, 2015
    Hi guys, this is my first post.I'm a bass player from Taiwan, and I'm in a band called Motiv, a post-hardcore band, and this is our youtube channel link. Feel free to dig in!
    MOTIV
    I currently plays a Mayones Be Elite 5st, an older version with ash body, maple neck, rosewood fb, bartolini JJ pu&pre. I also played a Moon Climb 5st, also an old version(1998), with Kent Armstrong pu&pre, and I love it. However, I don't have the privilege to own it.
    I would like some suggestions on a new bass, a soapbar pu prefered, 5st, deep low ends but still tight punches. I play with a Darkglass B7k ultra, with drives cranked up. But I also like the bass tone to be sonically even when i'm not using the pedal. I don't like Schecter or Ibanez, and Fender isn't the 5st to go to. My dream bass is a Sadowsky NYC 24-5, but my price range is around $2000, new or secondhand.
    You're welcome to leave tips and suggestions, or share some advices on your own gear!

2. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  3. Maybe a Warwick? I paid less than your budget for my thumb NT6 although I think the only 5 string thumb that comes with soapbars is the broadneck model. Warwick has a lot of basses where the singles are closer together giving more of a humbucker type of vibe , they have soapbars and twin J pickups in some models

4. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I second the Tune bass choice.

I'm still kicking myself for when I had the chance to get one on sale for a great deal and didn't! :rollno:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    gebass6 likes this.
  5. Baltimore Bass

Baltimore Bass

Jul 14, 2016
    Baltimore
    I’ve got a Warwick Streamer 1 five string, and it’s awesome. Tone is a little bright, but it’s also got a lot of bottom and sits really well in a mix. It’s got a comfy neck, too. You can probably find decent Warwicks on Reverb.

6. Waltsdog

Waltsdog Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Ottawa, ON
    Have you considered a Dingwall? A new Combustion or NG2 are both within your budget as is a used older AB series.

Maxfenderbass and Ikkir like this.
  7. Yenjaytaiwanbass

Yenjaytaiwanbass

Sep 8, 2015
    I've once owned a warwick corvette $$ 4st, so kind of similar with warwick's tone. A thumb 5st with soapbar is rare(maybe custom models with prices off the roof), and i've been looking on the old stage 1s with soapbar(seymour duncan). Those can be a fair price but hard to find. Thanks!

Baltimore Bass likes this.
  8. Yenjaytaiwanbass

Yenjaytaiwanbass

Sep 8, 2015
    I think i won't be comfy for the v-fret thing, and i would like a more woody tone. Thanks anyways!

9. Love your music!
    How about a G&L L-2500?

10. Not sure of the used market in Taiwan but used Sadowsky Metro Modern may be well within your range. Mine is a 4 stringer but it's the best soap bar style bass I've played.
    IMG_1782.JPG

Herrick likes this.
  11. tom5string

tom5string

Jul 14, 2006
    Hamburg/Bremen
    Hi,

suggest you try a Zon - should fit sonically to your band sound (congrats btw, nice recordings)

Cheers,
    Tom

kesslari likes this.
  12. Cyril_YU

Cyril_YU

Sep 13, 2016
    Paris, France
    What about Spector ?

monsterthompson likes this.
  13. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Used Roscoe. Best B string and neck I’ve played.

murphy likes this.
  14. Waltsdog

Waltsdog Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Ottawa, ON
    I think you’d be pleasantly surprised with the range of tones available if you actually got your hands on one. The natural tones are far and away different to those numerous overdriven demos you see on YouTube.
    The fanned frets are very comfortable to play but obviously not for everyone.
    If you happen to come across one in your search then definitely give it 5 minutes of your time.

15. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club Bass has some nice Roscoe 5 strings on sale right now

www.clubbass.ca

16. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I thought so too...until I played a Roscoe.

17. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    4StringTheorist likes this.
  18. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Zooberwerx likes this.
  19. Gotta try one for sure one of these days.

20. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I suggest a Sadowsky Metro and if you can wait, checkout the new Metro Express model.