1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend some classic, must-know songs that are beginner friendly (i.e. EASY !!)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Brocephus, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Brocephus

Brocephus

Sep 18, 2019
    Here's the deal: I just started laying bass very recently, but I've played guitar for years, so I kinda hit the ground running, though I still have tons to learn.
    I've been practicing a lot, and pouring over You-tube tutorials on theory, improvisation, etc, , as well as picking up some songs from there.
    My main problem is I don't have a great musical memory, and ability to learn quickly, so even mildly complicated stuff tends to send me into a tail spin.
    Anyway, I've casually been picking up various classic rock/blues tunes, easy bass lines that my brain can grab onto quickly without having an aneurysm, like Lagrange, Tush, Cocaine, The Thrill is Gone, Stand By Me, etc.
    I mostly randomly stumble across them, check them out, and try and pick them up if they're not too difficult.
    But I'm thinking, it would save a ton of time, if some of you experienced thumpsters would help out, and suggest some of those must-know, classic rock/blues/country tunes, that are also stupid-simple (and keep in mind, your "complicated", and my "complicated", are gonna be MILES apart ! :D)
    You get the idea, as always, any help is much appreciated......

2. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Green Onions

3. Brocephus

Brocephus

Sep 18, 2019
    LOL, thanks !!! I already forgot it, apparently, but that what was one I glommed onto right away !! :D

4. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Seasons Of Wither - Aerosmith is one I really enjoyed learning/playing. Slave by The Rolling Stones is a good one, too. Really most songs are simple to learn though if you just want to follow the root motion and nothing else.

Brocephus likes this.
  5. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member

1. The Weight
    2. Brown Eyed Girl
    3. Honkey Tonk Women

Those are in G. You can practice left hand fretting technique.

4. Blue on Black
    5. Feel Like Making Love (Bad Co)
    6. Proud Mary

I think all in D. Similar left hand position.

And some Eagles...

7. Take It Easy
    8. Peaceful Easy Feeling
    9. Tequila Sunrise
    10. Hotel California

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    rollie 55, Brocephus and MCF like this.
  6. Love Me Do - The Beatles
    Breakdown - Tom Petty

rollie 55 and Brocephus like this.
  7. Malcolm35

Malcolm35

Aug 7, 2018
    Do you still have your fake chord sheet music you used on guitar? Those are the songs you liked. And I bet most of them are three chord wonders.

You already know the tune and tempo. Start with a root-five bass line and add the 3,6, 7, & 8 into the bass line as needed.

Have fun, you are already half way there.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    Oddly and Brocephus like this.
  8. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Time is Tight.

HolmeBass, bassdude51 and Brocephus like this.
  9. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Down On The Corner.

pcake, Brocephus and RyanOh like this.
  10. smallwhite

smallwhite

Sep 15, 2019
    Zombie (Cranberries)
    Come Together (Beatles)
    Heavy Cloud No Rain (Sting)

I hope the genres are right.

Hawaii Islander and Brocephus like this.
  11. The first song I learned was 'Stray Cat Strut.'

Honestly, most of the pop-iest tunes have really simple bass lines that act like a conveyer belt for the dancing to roll across. There's too many. I play in a Blondie tribute, so I can suggest Call Me, One Way and Heart of Glass as 3 pretty straightforward songs that are on the brain.

wintremute and Brocephus like this.
  12. Brocephus

Brocephus

Sep 18, 2019
    Thanks guys, y'all got the idea ! :D
    The above recommendation for Tom Petty's "Breakdown" (which I should be able to do off the top of my head), reminded me of another classic of his, that should be nearly as easy to replicate from memory...."Refugee".
    Another good one that I just picked up the riff for, is "House of the Rising Sun".

13. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Not gonna make a list but any beginner bass player needs to be able to play this all the way through without flubbing. Simple, basic and not as easy as it seems. An American classic and one of the all time greatest songs. (Good old 1-4-5 chord pattern.)

MCF, Oddly and Brocephus like this.
  14. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member

Breakdown is great to use for learning proper timing and note length.
    Mary Jane's Last Dance is another good one, a bit of swing feel.

:thumbsup:

MCF and Brocephus like this.
  15. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    I dread saying these, but every bassist should be able to fake their way through them.

Sweet Caroline
    Brown Eyed Girl
    Mustang Sally
    Keep your hands to yourself
    Wagon Wheel
    Sweet Child of mine
    Something by John Cougar Melonhead
    and any song that sounds like Mr Melonhead. I made a list once and came up with just about a full set of songs ranging from Authority song to Labamba

exidor and Brocephus like this.
  16. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

in what genres? in what way?
    - lead player?
    - rhythm player?
    - flatpick?
    - flamenco style?
    - classical?
    - all?
    - none?

i'm asking because some guitar experience can actually help/transfer while other kinds of guitar experience wouldn't help much. ;)

Chad Michael likes this.
  17. I'm a new player. The first thing I learn is the song's chord progression, which lets you follow the root motion. The I-IV-V is used in a lot of songs. Then like Malcom says, at this point you can fake your way through with the root-5 and other chord tones if you so choose.

Timing is important. Better to play the wrong note at the right time than the right note at the wrong time. Keep the groove, even it it's mostly or all root notes.

bassinplace and MCF like this.
  18. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

OP, also: if you never had lessons (from a teacher) while playing the guitar = might be a great time to learn this instrument/music differently....(increased self-satisfaction, gigging or ensemble playing: quicker/better, etc.) good luck with your "must-know" tunes! :thumbsup:

19. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Walking on the Moon - The Police

Great song, very distinctive bass line and EZ.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    Chad Michael, MCF and Oddly like this.
  20. SunByrne

SunByrne

Aug 29, 2019
    Pearland, TX
    I’m a newb, so my “easy” should match your “easy.” I recommend:

Talking Heads: Psycho Killer
    Jimi Hendrix: Hey Joe
    Pink Floyd: Another Brick in the Wall (pt 2)
    Van Halen: You Really Got Me
    The Pretenders: My City Was Gone

wintremute likes this.