1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend some good fitting banana plugs please

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Stinsok, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    My PA has a Crest 3001 and a Vs900. Both are old and only have binding post/banana plug speaker outs. I would like to find some really snug fitting plugs!

2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I wish they could be left! They are plugged/unplugged every gig.

3. You simply insert a small flatblade screwdriver into the gaps on the banana and twist.
    This is the beauty of the design--you can make them fit nice and tight again whenever needed.
    Eventually, there will come a time when one of the 4 leaves breaks off, but you'll get through the night and a replacement is only a few $$.

4. Can’t say that I’ve ever encountered any “goose-loose” banana plugs, but then I’ve only used them in my home theater system, never in a situation where they were being plugged in and unplugged all the time. I’d suggest that if they don’t fit tight anymore, maybe you’ve just worn them out and they should be replaced - or "refurbished" as Keith suggested.

If your amps are in a rack, maybe you could install a one space rear panel with some Speakon jacks. That way you could just use bare wire or spade lugs to the amplifiers.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Pedulla Club #45
    Administrator, Tobias Club
    Big Cabs Club #23
    My Rig: Stage and FOH Friendly

5. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
  6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
  7. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Looks like it won't take over 16ga wire (but they don't say).

Connection is via a crappy little screw (like most bananas). Might as well skip the banana and use the bare-wire hole on the binding post.

The ones I use are a solder connection, and on a good day I can get two 12ga onto one of them (three if I throw away the jacket and use heatshrink). They are also very inexpensive.

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
  9. If you really crank-down the thumbscews on those RS ones shown above, the entire gold section will twist inside the plastic.
    However, they DO handle larger gauges of wire
    than most.

Seriously, as I said in my first post bananas are VERY easy to make tight again.
    That's the whole point of their design.

Attached Files:

10. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Again, a banana that relies on the pressure of a screw for the connection between the wire and the banana. IMHO one is wasting his money using such plugs.

11. Aren't they manily for convenience? It's easier to plug in and unplug them and leave the wires screwed into them than screwing bare wires on the speaker screw-hole thing. And it seems to work fine for thousand watt+ home theater recievers

12. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    This is my current project. I rear-mounted a universal plate which will accept up to 16 jacks. I'm using 5 of the heavy-duty 4 pole Speakons with quick connect spade terminals...two for the biamped mains (4 conductor cable), one for the subs, and two for the monitor channels.

As far as the amp connections go, I've opted for the bare wire / binding post configuration as this will be a permanent internal (inside the box) configuration. I'm not sure why there's so much concern about screw-type fittings. With the exception of soldered 1/4" phono plugs, most fittings employ some type of set-screw to secure the conductors...including banana plugs and even the high-end Speakons.

Riis

13. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    The bananas I use are soldered. I solder SpeakOns as well. I've never had a failure. I've seen plenty of failures on connections that rely on a screw - which is why I solder stuff.

14. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Interesting. I've never had a problem with the screw-clamp Speakons...I think they built-in strain relief has something to do with it.

Even my recently-acquired 4 pole Neutrik output jacks have quick-connect spade connectors on the rear. From the comments I've read, they can be soldered but those-in-the-know say the heat can soften and deform the hard plastic casing.

Word of caution for those using the screw-downs: don't tin the conductor ends before installing.

Riis

15. tdvt

tdvt

Oct 13, 2008
    Vermont
    I still use banana plugs for some things myself. By fluke I got some G & H oversize plugs from Parts Express a few years ago but they no longer have them. They are hard to find for some reason but I did find more on ebay when I looked. There is only one auction I could find currently running- LINK

These plugs are somewhat larger, use heavier gauge spring steel for the contacts, accept much heavier gauge cable & use a nut (instead of a wimpy set-screw) to bind the cable to the plug.

[​IMG]

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021