Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recording Card + Sound Card, do i need both?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Ibanezzer, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Ibanezzer

Ibanezzer

Aug 12, 2004
    Dayton, Ohio
    I am looking at buying a new computer, the one i am buying does not have onboard sound card. I am also wanting to start into recording my bass guitar on to my PC. Presently my bass goes into a BOSS GT6b Effects/Preamp Unit. I am looking at buying the EMU 1212M card and taking the bass signal into it via the digital coaxial connecting (from the boss unit to the recording card). My question is do i need a sound card for my computer in addition to the emu 1212 card--does it only take input or can windows xp also use it as an output. I will be using coaxical as the input but i would be using the optical connection to take it out to my 5.1 home reciever (will be moving to my office/computer room). In addition to this card i was looking at buying a sound blaster audigy 2zs card but i am wondering if i will need it after i buy the 1212 card? If anyone knows much about this kind of setup or even has an emu 1212 or 1812 card please post up. I'd hate to sepend $90 on the audigy card to then buy the $200 emu card and not be able to use the audigy. Also can the emu card send a 5.1 signal out or is it all in stereo? Also does anyone know if i can have both cards and use the audigy 2 card for my output signal the emu only for input?

Thanks fellow tb'ers.

- David.

2. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    I don't have a 1212 but the Emu will be able to do all your input and output. You will need to have your 5.1 receiver on when your computer is on to hear MP3, Windoze Media Player, etc.

You can also have both the Audigy and the 1212 but you don't need it.

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Before you throw down for the EMU card, you might want to spend some time looking at this forum: http://www.productionforums.com/emu/

Mostly it's filled with the problem cases, not the success stories. There are plenty of problem cases though. I have the 1820M, and it works very well for me. But it's not really a plug-and-play deal IMHO.

4. Ibanezzer

Ibanezzer

Aug 12, 2004
    Dayton, Ohio
    since i originally posted this i have read more and more about problems with the emu products. You said that its not really plug and play--how involved is it then for setting up a recording card and then recording from my preamp?

Also is it better to look at a firewire solution? one thing i came accross in my research is that the pci cards are being phased out within the next year or so--i'd really hate to spend 2-400 on something that i might not be able to use when i replace this computer down the road. Also does anyone know if any company makes a pci-x interface (not pci-xpress but PCIx, my new machine has one pcixpress for my graphics card, 2 pciX slots and 2 pci slots.

Does anyone else on the forums use any of the units with the large rackmount breakout boxes? i was also looking at a few products like that since i'm thinking it might not be a good idea to have the inputs only on the card since that woulld cause more wear and tear to the card if i don't always leave it plugged in. I was looking at the rackmount one from a company called ESI (esi-pro.com), but i am new to this so i am unsure of who is good in quality and customer service with their products.

Thanks for the help.
    David.

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

The Patchmix application that sets up all the routing has a lot of choices, and it takes at least a few hours to suss even a basic patch, in my experience. Then, there are all those potential issues with software compatibility, hardware compatibilty, etc. With all that said, I was able to record a simple track in about 10 minutes after installing the card. That was definitely beginner's luck though. :cool:

Also is it better to look at a firewire solution? one thing i came accross in my research is that the pci cards are being phased out within the next year or so--i'd really hate to spend 2-400 on something that I might not be able to use when i replace this computer down the road.

Just sell off your computer with a working recording setup, at least it'll be worth something that way. I have an old Athlon 750 'puter with a good soundcard in it, and it'll still be a good recording 4 track setup two years from now. I'd keep my eye on what I want to accomplish today, not what-ifs two years down the road.

Does anyone else on the forums use any of the units with the large rackmount breakout boxes? I was also looking at a few products like that since i'm thinking it might not be a good idea to have the inputs only on the card since that woulld cause more wear and tear to the card if i don't always leave it plugged in. I was looking at the rackmount one from a company called ESI (esi-pro.com), but i am new to this so i am unsure of who is good in quality and customer service with their products.

I have the EMU 1820M, which does have a breakout box and two decent sounding preamps. A breakout box is pretty vital to me, but you can always build a patch bay for a card without one.

I've had like 4 recording cards in the last few years, and two of the companies are now out of business, one card wrecked my computer and the company said "tough", and you can judge EMU for yourself. So I guess I'm the wrong guy to ask for a recommendation...

FWIW, the guys I know who have nice DAWS didn't approach it by matching the card to an existing computer, they got the card they wanted, figured out what hardware would work with that card, and built up the computer to that configuration. I got lucky, and only needed a new video card to get my system working well. I used to build up computers for lots of weird esoteric applications, so this stuff doesn't faze me too much. If you're new to this, do all the research you can before you buy anything. I got the EMU from a Talkbasser who just got sick of dweebing after a month of no joy. Last I heard, he was going to ditch the PC world completely and buy a Mac system.