Recording Direct: What Hardware DI or Preamp?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by dpaulb, Jan 24, 2017.

1. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    No it's not. It's a nice effect, if you like that kind of thing, but it's not a necessity.

2. Zoot H Rollo

Zoot H Rollo Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Redmond, WA
    ok, let me rephrase,

i find a cab sim to be an effective tonal shaper when going direct.

the one i use has balanced out that i feed into a mic pre on my Audient id14.

it is especially nice when playing live into a PA with my onboard J-Retro and Aguilar preamps.

i like the results.

there, i think that's worded better.

3. frnjplayer

frnjplayer

Feb 3, 2014
    Lots of good words here about DI's and preamps.
    The only thing I can chime in with is try to get the sound you're looking for at the source. I realize that one of the current flavours of the day is to just get a clean signal in and then fix it in the mix. I have found that if you start with the correct tones it saves hours of screwing around on the computer and usually coming up with a compromised result.

dpaulb and ccouch7 like this.
  4. Zoot H Rollo

May 10, 2000
    Redmond, WA

5. Supadope

Supadope Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Louisville
    My goal is to leave the world a cooler place than when I arrived.
    I've always just used the DI out of the back of my amp with great results.

ccouch7 likes this.
  6. ccouch7

ccouch7

Feb 14, 2009
    I've tried lots and lots of different ways to record bass direct.
    One of the best has been this Genz Benz GBE 250c combo amp.
    It has the most quietest and good sounding D.I. outs I've ever experienced so far,
    and there's a bunch of different sounds in there so it's highly versatile too.

Usually I prefer to monitor through the 2x10's in the amp. But if it's too late
    at night or I want to stay silent I'll unplug the speakers and monitor through
    headphones.
    2013-7-216_zpsb3ef533c.jpg

2013-7-217_zpse0158272.jpg

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

I'm in the same boat with recording, and can only do it direct too. Within the past year, I've tried a host of different DI's, and decided to roll with the Ampeg SCR-DI. I primarily use a Fender Deluxe Active Jazz V, and play both finger style, and with a plectrum. In my opinion, for $200 the Ampeg is very hard to beat. I don't use a cab sim, and still get a very solid sounding, and well balanced tone from it. There's a small thread about them here.

Ampeg SCR-DI

dpaulb likes this.
  8. kool!

9. I record my demos using Vt bass and TASCAM dp006, easy and cheap.

10. Ulf_Hansson

Ulf_Hansson

Apr 15, 2014
    Great points in this quote! People often forget why they are recording in the first place.

11. Zoot H Rollo

May 10, 2000
    Redmond, WA
    i changed gears and got an Ampeg PF50-T for recording.

12. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    With an active bass, I don't think you need anything. Between the bass' preamp and the board, you should have as much EQ as you need. The signal from the bass should be plenty. I've recorded passive basses straight to the board and they sounded fine.

13. Zoot H Rollo

May 10, 2000
    Redmond, WA
    i completely agree.

i have 3 basses now,

Fender Jazz FSR passive with Fralin hum cancelling pups

Bacchus Woodline 24 DX-JHCB dual coils with Aguilar OBP2

Godin A4 fretless - mag/piezo/preamp

all sound great through my DSM OmniCabSim DI into the board/PA/interface.

but what fun is that?

14. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    LOL, that is what it is about, now, isn't it.

Winton and frederic b. hodshon like this.
  15. For demos, any cheap DI box will do, even those built into the interface.

For serious recording, the best system I've heard is the Avalon U-5. A boutiquey bass player brought his over and it sounded significantly better (sadly) than the DI on my ballyhooed Demeter preamp.

dpaulb likes this.
  16. David Vector

David Vector Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Michigan
    +1 on the WA76 providing real audible benefits. The transformers add some character and seem to make things just a tad more articulate. And the way the compression can clamp down with fairly large amounts of peak reduction without making the signal sound like the life's been squashed out of it is so helpful when it comes to the mix - I find myself having to draw considerably less volume automation moves on vocals and needing little if any volume automation on bass.

dpaulb likes this.
  17. amphlett7

amphlett7

Feb 27, 2008
    Basywater, Western Australia
    Audiofly In-Ear Monitors And Headphones
    If you're going for a straight DI, I'd definitely recommend the Avalon U5.

I have one in my studio and it gets used on every session. I could literally use the DI's completely clean in a mix and be happy because it sounds so tight. It also has microphone and line level outputs, meaning you can completely bypass the preamp in your interface (by going from the line level) or using it as a DI into another microphone pre. Or both!

If you're looking for a preamp to give a bit of colour that also has a direct input I can't recommend the Warm Audio WA12 enough. Anything API 312 style is a perfect fit for bass but the Warm is just so cheap and so good!

dpaulb likes this.
  18. amphlett7

amphlett7

Feb 27, 2008
    Basywater, Western Australia
    Audiofly In-Ear Monitors And Headphones
    Yeah I usually record bass direct in. If I want a really clean signal I'll just use a processed DI signal, and I'll only use and amp/cab simulator if I want some grit.

Completely context dependent.

ccouch7 and dpaulb like this.
  19. on our newest album I ran direct. Ran through my compressor and duality fuzz then to a sans amp rbi. The RBI has a dry/thru 1/4" out which went to a darkglass b7k ultra. Used the xlr out of the sans amp to one channel on an API and the xlr out of the b7k ultra to an Avalon vt727sp which is a high end tube pre and used its eq to dona slight cut at 500hz and a slight boost at 30hz and 60hz and that went to another channel on the API.
    IMG_2190.JPG IMG_2191.JPG

The album is still not mixed and mastered but here's a sample of my clean tone without the dirt from the fuzz or b7k distortion switch on.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 27, 2021