Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recording Microphone

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by sdjbass, Nov 30, 2003.

1. sdjbass

sdjbass

Mar 11, 2003
    Greensboro, NC
    I'm looking for a microphone that i can hook up to my sound system in my basement, in which I can record myself playing. Any suggestions, I plan on using it for Acoustic Classical recordings and For Jazz. This doesn't have to be anything fancy, I just want the true tone of the bass. My sound system has a 1/4" jack in, if that is an issue. Price range is under $200, but if you know of something really good over, I'm open to suggestions.
    My "studio" is a 10x10 basement room with pretty good acoustics.
    I'd appreciate all the help you can give.

2. Does the sound system you are using have built in mic pre amps? A good recording mic will need a pre amp. That's the most info I can supply since I too am looking for a good mic in the similar price range.
    Mike

3. sdjbass

sdjbass

Mar 11, 2003
    Greensboro, NC
    i seriously doubt it, it is an Aiwa mini system, relatively new (2 years), i guess i will need a mic with a pre amp, although i have a K&K pre-amp for my pick-up but i don't think that will work

4. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    There are a lot of good microphone preamps available for very little. I've been using an "Audio Buddy" for the last few years to record with on my computer. It's a two channel preamp with phantom power for $89. If you only need one channel, ART has some great preamps for under $100. Check the mail order places for these if you can't find them in a local music store.

For microphones: These are great times for buyers looking for microphones. Asia and Eastern Europe are tuning out tons of really cheap large diaphragm condensor mics for very little money. I've heard a number that impressed me, and recently found a used Octava 391 for $50.

5. sdjbass

sdjbass

Mar 11, 2003
    Greensboro, NC
    well, this is kind of a new question, If i just buy a insturment recording mic, for like acustic guitar, one that is kind of multi purpose, will is pick up the sounds of my bass? or do I need a mic designed for such a low frequency???

6. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    You could also consider a dynamic large-diaphgragm mic such as the AKG-D112...no preamp needed with that one. It works pretty well as a live mic too, and is very durable. It would certainly give you decent results for recording practices, etc. Watch for them used on Ebay in the price range you mentioned.

For an all-purpose mic, a Shure SM-57 works well on both guitar and upright bass. It's not the optimal thing, but fine for your own uses. Also dynamic and needs no preamp.

7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    You can never go wrong with the SM-57. I would think it might be worth it (especially in your price range) to go for a decent digital recorder, and a less expensive mic. Many of the digital recorders have mic simulators - not pro-quality, but playing with mic placement and EQ can do more than a cheap condensor mic.

Also, check out "Home Recording for Dummies". Well worth the $$$.

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The problem with the SM57 is that while it is a great workhorse mic, and has been used to great success on drums, guitar, bass and vocals, I would not say that it is the best at capturing the "true tone" of an instrument. It has some definite frequency bumps (and valleys), which impart a somewhat unique sonic signature. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing. I find that an SM57 can add desirable punch and presence. Heck, I own a half dozen or more SM57's and love them. For me, the only mic that I own which I feel captures the true tone of my bass (or any other instrument) is my Neumann TLM-103, but that is several times your price range.

I would suggest that you look into Rode mics. An NT1 or NT2 would probably do you fairly well. I would also suggest picking up a nice mic pre. I am not a fan of the ART mic pre's myself, as I find them to be very colored. The best inexpensive mic pre out there by far is the RNP (Really Nice Preamp), from the makers of the RNC (Really Nice Compressor), which I would also suggest that you pick up.

Hope this helps, Tom.

9. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Tombowlus is right on the Rodes - for the $$$ they are great condensor mics. I'm just thinking price range - they start at about $200, then adding in the cost of the preamp and other assorted goodies...

10. If you want to go the best bang for the buck route and still Hi-Fi may I suggest a micro mixer and a large diaphram Chinese condensor.

I picked up a CAD GXL2400 for $70 (versatile recording mic, great for bass) and a Beringer UB802 for $50 (very musical preamps).

Not a Neuman and Neve but great sound for the money :D What's the price of the RNP & RNC? Looks interesting!

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The RNC lists for $199, and has been a major bang for the buck bargain in the world of compressors for some time. The RNP is $499, and is an excellent two channel mic pre. It can also be used in conjunction with an RNC. Both are quite highly thought of, especially for the price range. The folks over at the Digidesign User Conference (duc.digidesign.com) give high praise for them both.

Tom.

12. Thanks for the info; I'll have to check it out.