1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recording software???

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by SanDiegoHarry, Sep 22, 2008.

1. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but if not someone will move it...

I have putzed with several software packages for writing/recording at home, and have been happy with none of them (Acid/Live/Cakewalk) - -

I know I'm not the only bass player here who does this - so I'm interested in hearing what some of y'all use. What are you happy with that's out now?

thx

2. gregh

gregh

Sep 15, 2008
    I use reaper and am very happy with it. The forum is helpful and even though the software can get complex to use, for basic audio recording, mixing and applying FX, it is very easy
    http://reaper.fm/

One of the advantages is that you can use the full version for quite some time so you get every opportunity to see if it suits you or not.

3. OldBluesGuy

OldBluesGuy

Aug 14, 2008
    Enfield, CT
    +1

:)

4. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I'll pipe in for GarageBand on a Mac. It's surprised me on many occasions for how well it handles stuff.

5. Sonar 6 PE <== 4 out of 5 moms prefer it.

6. I use sonar 6PE,
    i originally was a Cubase guy, but my friend gave me a little demo of Sonar and got me hooked on it.
    i still prefer certain features of cubase (i dont even remember what they are right now), but sonar is so much more powerful.
    for example, you can run as many VST/VSTi/DX/DXi plugins as you want, as long as your computer can handle it.

for effects, i use the Waves Diamond bundle. best godamn plugins i have ever used!

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    recording gear.

8. i have a heavy background of tracked music (look it up, old step sequencing style of electronic composing) and love to incorporate those elements in much of my recording.

so i use Ableton Live!

i also love Sonar!

most of the time i'm using schism tracker to rough out ideas but when it comes time to lay down the audio i use sonar or ableton. mostly ableton as i love the interface for the midi editing a little bit more than on sonar, just feels a little better to me.

and i agree about the waves diamond bundle, best damn effects on the planet!

9. I use the new Yamaha N12 with Cubase AI and a Macbook Pro. Super easy once you play with it for a while and the best part is you can send the tracks back to the mixer and mix analog style...

10. voodoobassist

voodoobassist Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Tulsa , OK
    I use Sony's, formerly Sonic Foundry's, Vegas. I've found it very easy to use, and, you can get as complex as you like as you get to know the ins and outs of the software. Link to some of the stuff I've done is here,.....

myspace.com/qnthegroove

11. bowthing

bowthing

Feb 16, 2007
    Utah
    I really like Ardour. For overdubbing tracks or adding effects while playing, I really like the low latency (less than 1ms) that you can get on a linux box if you set it up right. Plus, everything is free (except the computer and your time!)

12. kb9wyz

kb9wyz

Sep 8, 2008
    Bloomingdale,IL
    Sonar 7
    Like buttuh!

13. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I use Audacity, it's free and for every operating system... I feel like I've made better recordings in Linux, but that might be sound card related. :D

You can make some pretty solid sounding stuff with it. I wouldn't say it's "professional" level by far, but if done right, it sounds great.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

14. I went with N-Track for $$$ reasons and have been pleased and stuck with it for the past 5 years.

15. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Man, who knew there was so much cheap/freeware audio software out there?

thanks guys!

16. william3

william3

Feb 6, 2008
    Pretty much any decent one that works for XP will also work for Vista. I have FlexiMusic Audio Editor, which is very friendly in editing and recording that i used for a long time.