1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recording: What To Use?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by PIZZAcato, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Okay I did a search on this but I didnt really find what I need. I see that you can use a Mic or a Pickup, and a combination seems to work pretty good too. But I'm sorry to say I know nothing of recording and I'm going into the studio soon and I got a feeling this guys gonna charge us up the anus!(no jokes) But my friend insists on using him. Anyway I don't wanna waste anytime or money here so, please, can anyone recommend me what to use? I play in a combo with a vocals, piano, sax, trumpet(minimally), and a drums. Thanks.

2. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Assuming it's a professional studio, I'd say just let the recording engineer make that decision.

3. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    If the guy is expensive, show up without a pickup.

4. +1!!

If there's a pickup, they will record it, "just in case".

And then, at mix time, some genius will comment that the pickup track has much less bleed than the mic, and since everybody (but us bass players) thinks that it sounds just fine, you're getting the short end of the stick and the pickup ends up on the recording.

Happened to me a few times.

5. larry

larry

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    +1 again - That is a great idea. Last time it happened to me, the engineer said "trust me, I can make the pick up sound great". Never again.

6. Are you expecting to record separately (eg overdubs) or all play together?
    If separate, definitely just use a good mic.
    If you're playing in the same room as drums etc, it may be necessary to use a pickup to get a tight, clean sound.

Meanwhile, if you don't want to waste time & money in the studio, practise, practise, practise...

7. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Maybe I've just been lucky, but all the engineers I've worked with said they'd only consider using a direct signal if all other mic methods failed completely. I can honestly say, though, that my pickup gets a much better tone on live gigs than I ended up with on our last cd.