1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recording with No Recording Equipment?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by GSRLessard14, Feb 26, 2006.

1. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    Hey guys.

So, whilst sitting on my bed this evening noodling on my bass, I came up with a few different parts that I'd like to layer together to form my first little-mini-i-wrote-all-the-parts-song-type-of-thing. It would be all on my bass though. It's just a few simple chords in the upper register (the "guitar" part i guess?), a bass line on top of that, and some drumming on the muted strings for a little percussion. I also kinda wanna throw a little solo in there.

The problem is... I have zero recording equipment except my bass, my laptop, a cord that connects the two, and Audacity. I by no means expect to create anything earth shattering, but i was wondering if anyone had any advice on some settings I could play with in Audacity to make it sound somewhat decent. I've never used the program before, and I assume there's more to it than just hitting the record button and playing. Hopefully you guys understand what i mean.

thanks for any tips!

EDIT: Would Cool Edit Pro work better?