Recording with No Recording Equipment?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by GSRLessard14, Feb 26, 2006.

1. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    Hey guys.

So, whilst sitting on my bed this evening noodling on my bass, I came up with a few different parts that I'd like to layer together to form my first little-mini-i-wrote-all-the-parts-song-type-of-thing. It would be all on my bass though. It's just a few simple chords in the upper register (the "guitar" part i guess?), a bass line on top of that, and some drumming on the muted strings for a little percussion. I also kinda wanna throw a little solo in there.

The problem is... I have zero recording equipment except my bass, my laptop, a cord that connects the two, and Audacity. I by no means expect to create anything earth shattering, but i was wondering if anyone had any advice on some settings I could play with in Audacity to make it sound somewhat decent. I've never used the program before, and I assume there's more to it than just hitting the record button and playing. Hopefully you guys understand what i mean.

thanks for any tips!

EDIT: Would Cool Edit Pro work better?