REDDI vs P15 Poll Time. 2017 update coming soon!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 10cc, Feb 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. REDDI

41.0%
  2. Broughton P-15

45.7%
  3. No DI straight shot!

13.3%
  1. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    Just added a fourth mystery clip on the original post.

Here is the two DI's with a Geddy Lee Jazz:

NKBassman likes this.
  2. JackANSI

JackANSI

Sep 12, 2006
    PA
    You sure do post a lot for a zombie... Just sayin'

Plus it's nice to hear you admit that your opinion carries no value ;) :laugh:

Come on, play the game! :bassist:

3. sratas

sratas

Dec 15, 2007
    Parma, Italy
    I'm glad 10 cc opened another thread about the broughton and other high end DI. sincerely, the previous thread went nasty.

I only want to ask the OP if he could record two samples using the REDDI and the Broughton P15 with all the tone controls at noon. I just wanna hear the P15 without the EQ playing a role. I mean, the clip n° 3 is really great sounding (assuming it's the P15...I may be wrong, of course...), but for comparison purposes and for the most exciting game, it could be uber interesting to hear the two boxes this way, with the same bass part, a jazz and a P with volume-matched clips and zero EQ and without any post-processing.

But 10 cc has already put his time and effort into this topic, I don't want to stress him with too many requests.

Great thread...waiting for the truth being revealed...

4. sratas

sratas

Dec 15, 2007
    Parma, Italy
    web....you hit me 10 cc...thanks for the clips with the jazz bass!

5. JackANSI

JackANSI

Sep 12, 2006
    PA
    The DI3 Jazz clip is exactly what I'm looking for.

The DI2 Jazz clip is ok, not too special, but I'd take it as well; maybe pop +2dB of <110hz in there.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Seriously, I won't hear anything on the speakers I have on my desk. The roll off probably around 150hz. Besides, sitting at a computer makes it easy to post, especially with a dual monitor setup and privacy screens. I can make it up though. I hear that clip 3 has more deep lows and is a bit scooped with some nice brightness on top. That's probably the P15. The REDDI is clip one, and the control is clip two. Did I get it right? :chicken:

Besides, I'll take the Monique. ;)

MDBass and JackANSI like this.
  7. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Whatever they were recorded with, they both sound great!

8. JackANSI

JackANSI

Sep 12, 2006
    PA
    You do know I'm leaning on you because you have experience with a Monique and would actually like to hear your thoughts on this, right?

9. I have no idea here, but what I have personally noticed is that, at least from the first post, the first clip sounds the brightest, the second seems to have a bit more low end with a more subdued top end, and the third one seems the grindiest, if I HAD to guess maybe with a mild mid scoop. Keep in mind that I don't know what I'm talking about.

edit: went back to listen to the clips again, and now I see four clips in that post.

jeffmensch likes this.
  10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Yeah, but I won't actually hear these for real until next week. I'm out the door here at work at 7 and headed to the mountains for a long weekend away. I will say that in a non-blind taste-test of my ailing Monique against a U5, the producer who heavily favors U5 chose the Mo. Using a set of HUGE Genelec monitors. I would guess it extends similarly deep down low like the P15 since it's a very wide shelving bass control. I would guess that is probably the big difference in these clips, given the REDDI doesn't have the faculty to EQ and is designed more to add tube harmonics and note envelope shaping to the signal.

JackANSI likes this.
  11. Lanceropolis1

Lanceropolis1 Bringer of the Low End Awesome

Jun 29, 2015
    Napa Valley
    This is so intriguing. Thanks for doing this! I have a Reddi and I love it. So after hearing these, I know which one I like and I am curious to know if I am right!

12. The springy sound everyone hears from the first samples sounds like aliasing, and not the result of mp3 compression or whatever soundcloud uses, but badly done sample rate reduction before the encoding. If you uploaded 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, or 96 kHz files, and soundcloud outputs 44.1 kHz, that means they didn't filter above the nyquist frequency (in this case, brick wall LPF @22050 Hz) before sample rate conversion. That should be automatic in any correctly designed sample rate conversion software.

If my guess is correct, you uploaded 44.1 kHz files for the more recent post, because they sound much better. If I'm wrong, I'm VERY interested to know how this happened.

(looking forward to listening on good equipment later)

13. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I have no idea what any of that even means, lol.
    I can tell you that all of the samples were recorded/uploaded in the same exact manner on/with the same exact gear. We tried to match levels on everything.
    Maybe my internet was not as fast during the first session?
    The springy sound isn't present listening to the tracks off the recorder in my studio. I only hear it sporadically during playback from this thread.(?)

14. Not yet

Not yet

Mar 26, 2012
    So... What's what?

15. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    Yeah tell us

16. DirtyDuke

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Yeah tell us

17. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia

18. DirtyDuke

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    I have a Broughton P15 I'm considering selling to get version 1.1

19. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    What's the difference in the two versions?

20. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW
    LOL good question. I'll let @Azure Skies answer that one :)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021