REDDI vs P15 Poll Time. 2017 update coming soon!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 10cc, Feb 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. REDDI

41.0%
  2. Broughton P-15

45.7%
  3. No DI straight shot!

13.3%
  1. Azure Skies

Azure Skies Commercial User

Mar 21, 2012
    Toronto
    Businessman and EE Importer/Exporter Broughton Audio
    It's the same audio circuitry. I've added an extra 1/4" line out (unbalanced) that can be used simultaneously with the XLR. Also there's a front panel LED for power status, rather than the back panel lamp like on the first batch.

2. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Thanks. Useful changes, I'd say.

10cc and nshuman like this.
  3. ThisBass

ThisBass

Aug 29, 2012
    Germany
    I like DI2 best. Very nice balanced response and very rich in Harmonics, and a very nice dynamic at transients as well. The octave jumps seem to be very close in audible perception "average" of loudness level. A perfect sound to stay in the mix. And probably can be easily EQ'ed to sound similar like DI1 or DI2 which in opposite direction is probably difficult.

Jerry Ziarko likes this.
  4. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    I'll ask Josh for a full technical explanation.

5. Bass'd on a true story

Bass'd on a true story

Jun 28, 2015
    Oh man. Number 3 sounds the best to my ears in both cases. Number two still sounds great with the jazz comparison. In the P comparison, however, both 1 and 2 sounded fine UNTIL I heard 3. Once you go 3 you never go back.

As for guessing, 1 or 2 is direct to machine. And 3 is a DI. My initial instinct was that 1 was the machine, 2 was the REDDI and 3 was the P15 (because it sounds like a smiley eq).

pacojas likes this.
  6. arai

arai Inactive

Jul 16, 2007
    I like the first two and I think they would sit better in a mix. The third, as other have said has too much going on in the low and high end and I think it would get a bit lost in a mix, especially live were a lot of pa's have an over emphasised sub content as well as more high end than most bass cabs produce. Number 3 has the best bedroom tone though ;)

peterpalmieri likes this.
  7. LowEndWooly

LowEndWooly

Sep 3, 2013
    Indiana
    Ah, man.. you added a fourth clip on the first page. I can't tell if clip 1 and clip 4 are similar just with a slight volume difference or if clip 4 is just more articulate; but clip 4 is my new favorite. It seems to just be there better than the others.

I need the reveal!!!

joebar and 10cc like this.
  8. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    I knew you'd get back to us with that response.

LowEndWooly likes this.
  9. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    Alright here is the run down.
    DI 1 is the P Bass directly into the machine via 1/4 inch instrument cable.
    DI 2 is the REDDI with the level knob turned 3/4 up.
    DI 3 is the Broughton P-15 with the bass boosted, treble a hair passed noon and the volume is a hair passed eleven.
    DI 4 is the Broughton P-15 with the bass, treble and volume at noon @sratas :D

Jazz Bass
    DI2 is the REDDI
    DI3 is the Broughton P-15 all controls set at noon

10. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW

Since I did not provide any guesses before, I will now say that this is EXACTLY what I predicted LOL :)

Great job!

11. LowEndWooly

LowEndWooly

Sep 3, 2013
    Indiana
    Whoa! I'm really surprised by this.. I need to re-evaluate my life.

Looks like I need a Broughton.

blindrabbit likes this.
  12. arai

arai Inactive

Jul 16, 2007
    It's interesting how many people had the REDDI pegged as the direct signal because it was their least favourite tone. When I'm around my head phones I should give 4 a listen to hear it without the bass boost. It's was way too much for my taste in the 3rd sample

blindrabbit, pacojas and 10cc like this.
  13. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW
    Get one. I loved my first, can't wait for my second :)

blindrabbit, bassvirtuoso and pacojas like this.
  14. So where do you find the information about them and how to purchase?

15. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW
    @Azure Skies makes them. DO what I do, PM him until he sells you something :)

16. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i'm even more stoked! :) :thumbsup:

blastbass, blindrabbit and nshuman like this.
  17. LowEndWooly

LowEndWooly

Sep 3, 2013
    Indiana
    I'm really curious what @JimmyM thinks about these. I know he's a huge promoter of REDDI and Ampeg, so he probably really likes both.. but I wonder if he would have a favorite.

18. Bass'd on a true story

Bass'd on a true story

Jun 28, 2015
    WOOHOO! What do I win?

19. FLORINS

FLORINS Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2016
    NYC
    Hello all, I just had to quickly come out of the shadows to say man the DI on that old Korg D12 sounds pretty damn good. I wonder what they're going for on Reverb or Ebay?... But seriously I may have to rethink my REDDI....

20. sratas

sratas

Dec 15, 2007
    Parma, Italy
    Aasaahhhh.....

Thanks 10cc!!!

Wow, what a earthquake.

The Reddi clips really do sound like meh to my ears, whereas the broughton sounds so present and forward, alive. I keep to hear a backed in eq, slight, but it's probably the inherent basic tone of the broughton. A very good feature from a recording point of view and then there are the tone controls for this.

I am curious to hear comments from the big names who posted in the previous thread and own the Reddi, now that we have good material to discuss.
    For example jimmy, svtb15.
    Guys, you are welcome.

blindrabbit and LowEndWooly like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021