REDDI vs P15 Poll Time. 2017 update coming soon!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 10cc, Feb 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. REDDI

41.0%
  2. Broughton P-15

45.7%
  3. No DI straight shot!

13.3%
  1. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I had said I thought DI3 sounded least like my Reddi. I am also surprised how good the straight signal sounded.

I would add for how I use my Reddi I don't want DI3 as I want a solid, harmonically rich signal sent to the board, I don't want those humps. I want to give the engineer a signal he can work with, maybe he wants to add those humps and valleys, maybe not. That being said the P15 may in fact be a tone I want through my bass amp at times, but I don't want to twist a knob and effect the FOH. I would assume guys that like the P15 want exactly what they hear from their amp come through the FOH. In a recording situation I prefer the "dry" signal of the Reddi, you can always go back and add in those humps in the EQ during mix down but taking them out can be a challenge. That happens to be the path I prefer, understanding it isn't the right one, the best or the only one.

The Reddi being a straight DI and the P15 being a preamp, seems to me they both do their job well. Two good options, I'm not sure there is any need for the decisiveness, call anyone names or jump around and celebrate.

Thanks again 10cc, you sure stepped up and did what folks asked. If you are to do other comparisons I'd suggest comparing the P15 to other preamps like a Jules Monique. And the Reddi to other DI boxes. Maybe borrow a sonic farm 2DI4 or a noble.

ThisBass likes this.
  2. JackANSI

JackANSI

Sep 12, 2006
    PA
    Now that answers are out, I'm sure we'll get all the usual suspects soon.

I'm sure they will all like the REDDI clip.

It's workable for sure, any tone really is if you have enough EQ available. I wonder if any of the live REDDI users ever wandered back to board after their gig or sound check and took a long hard look at the EQ on the strip it was plugged into. (I'm sure they have and it is guaranteed to be reported here it was dead flat ;))

I was surprised that the REDDI seemed to fill out more to my ear with a jazz bass. Having that EQ on the P-15, to me, makes it just that much more valuable since the REDDI had such a weak sound on the P clips.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  3. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013

Here they are again. REDDI at 3/4 level and P-15 all controls set at noon.

4. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Do tone knobs make a DI a preamp?

blindrabbit and nshuman like this.
  5. JackANSI

JackANSI

Sep 12, 2006
    PA
    I would lean toward yes.

In the clips it sounds like the REDDI has a bit of baked in tone itself (HPF, and a slight treble roll off to me) compared to the direct clip, so... Not sure how much difference there is in this case.

I'd love to throw both on the spectrum analyzer and see what the curves look like.

6. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    Well let me just go in my gear closet and bust out my Rohde and Schwarz
    image.jpeg
    Totally joking. $75,000

JackANSI and pacojas like this.
  7. It would be interesting to figure out the EQ settings where the P-15 is maximally flat and do the comparo there. It may well be where the knobs are at noon but it's possible that it isn't. I listened to the 3 original clips and knew that #3 was the P-15 (bass boost gave it away) but was waffling on the other two. I liked the P-15 clip best out of those. Haven't had a chance to listen to the updated clips yet.

8. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW

@Azure Skies what settings would be flat?

blindrabbit likes this.
  9. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Tone knobs do not make a DI a preamp, there is no leaning. The P15 is both a DI and preamp, while the Reddi is a DI only.

A DI converts a high impedance signal to a low impedance signal and requires a preamp. A preamp boosts the signal to be amplified. The P15 can do both or either independently regardless of the tone knobs.

From that perspective you can compare the DI of the P15 to the Reddi without involving the preamp. And they are obviously very different.

In function it is fairly similar to those who use a bass amp with a built in DI, there are two sides of the aisle; those that send a pre EQ signal to the board and those that prefer to send post EQ signal. It's long been debated on TB, when I turn up the bass or scoop the mids, do I want that to hit the FOH or just my amp on stage. For that reason I compare the function of my Reddi to a countryman and the P15 to a Monique.

That being said both of these DIs color the signal and don't just convert a high impedance to low. The big negative for me with regard to the P15 is not being able to get a unaffected thru signal to your amp, but it looks like the newest version coming out addresses this. The prior version would only send an affected signal, that is great if you are running a power cab, using a power amp or running into the power amp in on a micro head. Not so good if you are using a tube amp already.

And with that I start to convince myself I could find a use for both ;)

ThisBass likes this.
  10. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW
    That's wrong. The v1 sends the unaffected in the thru port. The only affected signal was from the DI XLR out.

11. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I'm sorry if that is wrong information, I do not own a P15 but went off this information below.

12. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW

The new addition is to be able to send your affected signal to both the XLR and unbalanced out. This way you can now use it as aDI with an unaffected thru or also as a DI + Pre with two affected outputs as well.

peterpalmieri likes this.
  13. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    This certainly opens up a lot of questions - I don't understand.

Is the low impedance signal (XLR out) affected by EQ and the volume?
    If so how do you control stage volume when driving a power amp without changing the gain stage to the FOH signal?
    Two unbalanced outs that can be selected as a pass through or as a post EQ or post volume to either drive a power amp or run into the input of a bass amp?
    Are there internal dip switches for all of this? I never read any of this in the original thread?

14. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW
    I don't think you will have independent volume control.

Really, I don't think these a big issues given that people are more likely to have a lot of other gear to control the volume going into the amp.

blindrabbit likes this.
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Just wanted to point out that my deafening silence is because I've been on a cruise for the past 2 weeks with only a cellphone and earbuds. I won't be back till Sunday night. Anyway, looks like a fun thread.

nixdad, Geri O, sratas and 2 others like this.
  16. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Stage volume via power amp?

17. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW
    Is the boat you are on using SVTs as anchors? :)

JackANSI and blindrabbit like this.
  18. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW
    Stage volume using a transparent preamp.

19. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW
    And power amp ;)

20. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    10cc thanks for this post.
    I only listened to the first four and agree with many that #2 was my favorite.
    I could easily understand why others might not prefer this as the REDDI is very warm and thick to my ears.

10cc likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021