1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rehearsal expectations.... How many songs?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by TexasEdition, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Sometimes I wonder why I look at CL at all...

Found a local country band in need of a bassist... I've never done new country, but at least I wont be expected to play like Geddy Lee or Steve Harris. The add lists 10 songs. So I reach out to them, ask them a few questions about them etc. Reply comes back asking me if I can learn those 10 songs. I reply sure, nothing beyond my capabilities, and what about your band again? Their reply is to let them know when I learn those 10 songs and I can audition.

10?

I say sure, but can I have some info on your band? What is your skill level? what are your goals? what is your rehearsal and show schedule? Do you have a name? A youtube channel? Give me something to go on, Otherwise I will do 3-5 of your choosing.

I get back... "I had to learn 10 songs and another band I had to learn 30. Sorry you feel that way. Best of luck."

Bullet dodged IMO.

2. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    S. Texas Hill Country
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    Yep. I wasn't as lucky a couple years ago with the same situation. They sent me a list of thirty and when I asked which ones to learn they indicated #'s 11-20. When I got to the audition they informed me that we would be rehearsing the first ten instead. So I had to basically learn them in the 30 minutes I waited for the drummer and keyboard player to arrive and set up. Basically learning them on the spot. I got called back for a second audition/rehearsal but because the Lead Singer/Guitarist wasn't either, after that debacle I declined the position and moved on. Bullet dodged.....

3. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    As if there weren't enough difficulties with being in the music world, the frequency of self important Richards is really a pain. I don't know why some musicians feel it necessary to make perspective members dance for them like monkeys. If there was some six figure reward at the end of all this bullying by BLs that would be one thing. But we all know that gig isn't going to be listed on CL.

Mr_Moo, Mili, noeinstein and 8 others like this.
  4. thabassmon

thabassmon

Sep 26, 2013
    New Zealand
    I really don't think 10 songs is a big ask. The last time I played bass for someone else (I usually run my own music projects) I was given a list of 60 on a Tuesday for a one off gig and was asked have them learnt for the rehearsal on the Saturday a few days later. At the first rehearsal we played all of them through, I guess the other folks did their homework too. Only one more rehearsal and we played the gig.
    It was rock, pop, reggae, soul tunes, it's not like it was in depth classical music or obscure bebop tunes.
    So I think 10 is doable, especially since you would need to learn more to play gigs.

5. In this situation, I can understand. There is a goal and a short deadline to meet. Absolutely acceptable. In this case, they have no provided any background about their group. For all I know, they could be a bunch of middle-aged guys having a mid-life crisis who bought expensive guitars and can barley get through the songs themselves. And they are not forthcoming with information about their band.

Mr_Moo, Mili, 31HZ and 13 others like this.
  6. While I agree
    This is the exact response I began to type... and then saw "more messages have been posted".

7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

Rehearsal expectations.... How many songs?
    depends on how ambitious you are to get the gig. if you only learned 3 tunes, but you knocked their socks off = their next question would be, "do you have any other obligations we should know about?" OTOH: if you struggle to get some of their material, down cold = better try to learn more than what was requested.

good luck with your auditions! :thumbsup:

zie and Spidey2112 like this.
  8. You it the nail on the head.... The answer is I have no idea and they have not been forthcoming with that info. So many of these groups think everyone want's to be a part of them and don't realize that I am auditioning you just as much as you are auditioning me.

I hate to sound jaded, but the number of dollars involved is directly related to the amount of bull$h1t I am willing to deal with. They could be a super tight high caliber pro group, or just a bunch of garage hacks.

9. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    On the other hand it could be a 10th grader wanting to throw something out there. Bullet absolutely dodged.

Top secret country cover bands with 10 song repertoires are a dime a dozen.

M0ses, JGbassman, boxerrider and 2 others like this.
  10. Drucifer

Drucifer Not currently practicing Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Endorsements: your name could be here, Mr. Sadowsky!
    I was contacted for an audition, a harmonica player/vocalist was putting together an entire band. He sent a list of 25 songs. When I suggested (I believe politely) that having a drummer, keyboard, guitar and bass player who have never met nor played any of the 25 songs together might not be the best audition scenario, he asked me why bass players always have problems getting along and ghosted me.

11. Drucifer

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Also, he insisted it was 24 songs, because Waitin' for the Bus and Jesus Just Left Chicago were in fact one song. Insisted.

12. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    I don't have a problem with 10 songs - I'm fairly well documented as anting to learn as much of a prospective band's playlist as I can get ahold of. But their refusal to shed any light on their band is definitely a deal breaker.

And the "...let me know when you've learned them..." comment indicates a lack of plan or timeline. Sure everything is whack right now, but have a plan man.

13. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    I learn 3 sets for one off gigs all the time, but the operative word was GIGS! For an audition- they should have supplied the info requested, and 3 songs should be plenty.

14. Yeah, hard pass if they are not forthcoming with any info. WTH is wrong with people?

Mr_Moo, Mili, M0ses and 3 others like this.
  15. Drucifer

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    The best audition I've had, they provided their entire set list with recordings and asked me to pick any three songs.

Mr_Moo, Lux, murphy and 13 others like this.
  16. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Been through that mess many times. They won't state the band name. Yet post the ad like they are some big time entity! I learn the songs. Get to the audition and none of them know any of the songs and the musicianship is way less than pro grade. I hang for an hour and then pack up telling them 'let me know'! I had zero intention of joining that mess. I ended up going to see all the best bands (that I was interested in) and giving the BL my card and let them know I'm available to sub. Once they know you can play, word of mouth speaks volumes and you get calls out of the blue! Craigslist just ain't happening unless the band is totally transparent! I need band name. I need website or at least a link to videos or audio files. I need a songlist. That secret crap don't work for me.

18. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    It's usually bands that won't give you any info are also the ones with 'Major label interest' that never seems to really appear.

19. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    I just learned 20 songs for an audition and when I asked the guy for the address the day before the audition he ghosted me. A couple weeks later, he texted me, asking if I could come out in a couple hours. I told him I could, but would have to be an hour late. He texted me back that he already had someone for that night, but would need me later because the guy he has is a hack. Then proceeded to ghost again. I'm a professional looking for a professional situation, and won't tolerate that type of flakiness unless you are putting serious money on the table. I learned 50 songs for a stand in gig a couple weeks ago. I don't think 10 songs is unrealistic for an audition, but the secrecy of the situation is a red flag. I would have told him I already knew the songs and demanded more info.

Mr_Moo, M0ses, B-Lo and 3 others like this.
  20. If it's a gigging band, filling one spot they should send a song list or current set list and let the prospective member choose 5 songs or the band should select 4 songs maximum for all those who are auditioning to allow better comparisons. If it is some major act then a second round with a few more tunes.