1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Relocating.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tat2dHeart, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem.

Okay, TBOTers, I've learned that I'll be relocating to Atlanta (northeastern section just outside the 285 outerbelt). Tell me what I need to know about the area. Ready? Go!

2. Wait...what??!!! You're moving to Atlanta?! :(

3. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Housing is outrageous, you'll never be able to afford it. The music scene is dead and the people are smug.:bag: Just kidding. I don't know anything about the area but good luck on your move.

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Home Depot Corporate Headquaters is in the Vinings area on Paces Ferry Road.

5. All soft drinks are referred to as "Coke".

6. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I have several friends who have lived in Atlanta a long time. The prime directive: Live close to where you work. Traffic on the beltway is an absolute nightmare for half the day. And for the other half, it's Deathrace 2000--drive at least 85 mph or you'll be run off the road.

Atlanta also has a zillion Waffle Houses.

Edit: Also, bring a compass. ATL has many roads that curve and head into different directions.

7. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    If you find yourself in the aforementioned Vinings area, stop in at Padriac's (I believe its pronounced Patricks) for some tasty microbrews and order the Gouda Tots, but share them. A mixture of shredded potatoes, bacon bits, scallions and Gouda cheese lightly fried and served with our Buffalo ranch sauce.

8. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    A compass?
    It's 2013 we have GPS's and smartphones for that now.

9. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Watch out for the zombies

10. spindoc

spindoc

Sep 4, 2011
    Great town!

Two fantastic churches with amazing worship music featuring nationally known artists - Passion City and Northpoint.

Atlanta Bass Gallery!

Zesto's Nut Brown Crown! (great ice cream treat)

Great burger places - Yeah! Burger, Vortex, etc.

The Tabernacle ("the Tab") is a great place to see music.

Unfortunately the traffic lights aren't synchronized. Also lots and lots of roads have Peachtree in the name. It's a good place to have a GPS in your car.

11. Big B.

Big B.

Dec 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I lived in ATL for a while and loved it. My biggest piece of advice is avoid 285 during rush hour. If you can find a way to avoid it do so at all costs.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Marietta Diner.

Go there, eat. You'll probably see John Turner when you go.

-Mike

13. Don't take cover in a tank, the likelihood that an Asian guy named Glen is there to rescue you in very small.

lowsound

14. paste

paste

Oct 3, 2011
    Michigan
    I heard they got the weather channel HQ down there. fun huh?

Sorry, all I got. :D

15. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I met like 7 asian guys named Glen in the 3 days I was there. I think the odds are higher than you think.

16. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem.

We'll talk privately. Okay?

I hear those same complaints about Orlando. Maybe it's a case of same story, different city?

We have that in Florida, too. I don't drink "Coke" of any variety, so unless they have another name for water, I should be okay.

I've heard that about traffic and the beltway. Did you have to bring up Waffle House, though? I love Waffle House, but I don't dare eat there. We might as well just staple those waffles to my backside if I do that.

Awesome - first beer joint recommendation. Thank you!

* Cardio
    * Double tap
    * Beware of bathrooms
    * Wear seatbelts
    * Get a kick-@$$ partner
    * Bounty paper towels
    * Ziplock
    * It's a marathon not a sprint, unless it's a sprint, then sprint.
    * A little sunscreen never hurt anybody
    * Pack your stain stick
    * Bowling ball

Is it weird that I've already mapped the distance between Atlanta Bass Gallery so I can triangulate for the best living arrangements?

* Double knot your shoes
    * When in doubt, know your way out
    * No attachments

17. gttim

gttim

Dec 12, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    There is no outerbelt or beltway. There is a perimeter- 285. You are either inside or outside the perimeter- ITP and OTP. Northeast section? Norcross? Tucker?

Live close to your job. Traffic can be bad. Lots of highways can be great for zooming around the city, except during rush hour. You learn to plan routes.

Atlanta is a fun place, however. Tons of great music venues, lots of concerts! Mountains just north of us. Lots of parks. It is hot during the summer, and very humid, but year-round the weather is pretty mild. 4 to 5 hour drive gets you to the Atlantic or the Gulf. You can usually find whatever you are into here.

Edited to add: Just saw you are from Orlando? It will seem cool to you here! I was actually born in Orlando, but Atlanta has always been home. Been back here for 24 years, lived here a whole lot growing up.

18. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    All the former Turner Broadcasting TV stations CNN, HLN, TBS, TNT, etc. are headquartered there.

Elton John lives in the area.

P.S. Stay away from the prison where the Walking Dead zombies patrol the grounds and the town of Woodbury. I hear the "Governor" there is a real nutcase. :rolleyes:

19. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    * check the backseat.

Gavin might be there.

20. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    If you're a Gators fan it would be wise not to flaunt it up there.