Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Remove Bridge Whenver Transporting EUB?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by GKon, Apr 7, 2014.

1. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Queens, NY
    Hi all,

I'm new to the UB world. I just purchased a Harley Benton EUB500 (same as the Palatino).

My question is, do I need to remove the bridge any time I'm transporting the EUB, as in, if I put it in the gig bag to a show?

I ask because it seems so delicate.

If so, I guess then part of the order of things when playing an UB is setting up your bridge every time you play a gig.

Thanks, in advance.

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
  3. Register_To_Disable

4. Usually: no. Just handle your instrument very carefully.

For a hollow body EUB like the Harley Benton/Palatino you shouldn't take the bridge down, because of the risk of a fallen soundpost. (I assume it has a soundpost because it should have one.)
    Tuning up your strings with a fallen soundpost might destroy your instrument, so always have a look at your soundpost after transport. (With the strings tuned up the soundpost should not fall, but being a bit more careful than needed doesn't hurt.)

For a solid body EUB (not yours) taking the bridge down (not more than a few times a year!) might help when you have only a soft bag and need to give your instrument to others for handling (i.e. taking a flight). But in this case you should have a hard case and a lot of padding inside.

5. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Queens, NY
    Hi DoubleMIDI,

Thanks for the info and for the lack of facepalm (totally uncalled for). Very nice of you :)

Sorry, but the Harley Benton/Palatino is a solid body EUB.
    And, I only have a soft bag for it. But, from what you're saying, I can keep the bridge in place to travel from home to rehearsal and gigs.

Coming from the world of EB, the bridge on the EUB just seems so delicate, I wasn't sure what the proper protocol was. Thanks for taking the time to share info.