1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

removing the grill cloth from a GK MB112 ll

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fretwear, Apr 2, 2014.

1. fretwear

fretwear

Mar 7, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    I did a search and came up weak. Having probs getting the cloth grill cloth off my MB112 ll, removed the steel corners, thought it would be velcro holding the corners, but it doesn't want to let loose??
    Any help would be great, thanks

2. rdcowan

rdcowan

Aug 13, 2009
    Central Texas
    I called GK about that some time back. Look on the bottom. There should be 2-3 holes there. They said to stick a screwdriver or something like it in the holes to release the grill. I haven't tried it yet on mine. I don't know if it is a catch that must be released or what. It's a puzzle isn't it? Let us know how it goes.

10cc likes this.
  3. fretwear

fretwear

Mar 7, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    thanks, thats it, didn't see the small black plastic plugs. remove the plugs and you can reach in with a small screw driver and pry the velcro apart....

4. FWIW: The GK MB110 cloth grill is removed the same way.

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Bumping this, as I'm going nuts trying to figure out how to remove the grille from my MB112II. There are no holes in the bottom of the amp. Can somebody post a pic of the holes I'm looking for?

@fretwear you still around? Looks like everybody else in this thread is gone :)

6. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    bump. anybody got one of these amps?

7. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

If it's the same as the 110, there are little plastic buttons on the side, about 1/2 to 3/4" back from the front face of the cab. You pry those out, to reveal holes about 1/8" in diameter.

They right through the cab side, and come out behind the grill surround. You stick something skinny like a jeweler's screwdriver in the hole, and lever the grille forward just a little, to release the plastic Velcro-like material that holds the grille.

Ditto for the un-plugged holes along the bottom front edge. At that point, the grille stands just proud enough that you can pull it out. Very nicely engineered.

8. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  9. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

Weird. Time for a call to G-K support...

10. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Did that. Well, emailed. They said 'stick a screwdriver in the little holes' :confused:

Anybody able to post a picture of the little holes I'm looking for?

11. TommyTippy

TommyTippy

Mar 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Anybody able to post a picture of the little holes I'm looking for?[/QUOTE]

Greetings mmbongo!

Here's a pic from my MB110. In the general area circled, you should be able to feel where the holes are hiding (they are usually open from the factory), and you could use a punch or box cutter to gain entrance enough for a small flat bladed screwdriver. The grill pops out quite easily.

Cheers!

4mr0R89.png

12. El Papa

El Papa Guest

Jan 12, 2015
    I haven't tried to remove it as I love the way it looks!

13. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I got sidetracked with other stuff and forgot to reply...but mine definitely does not have those holes you have pictured @TommyTippy and I appreciate the picture! Does your amp have the molded 'GK' logo in the sides of the amp? Mine does not, I think this may be a case of them changing the design.

@El Papa I need to take the grille off because I've got a Neo GK speaker I want to try in it.

14. TommyTippy

TommyTippy

Mar 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Hey mm, my MB110 is one of the newer models with tolex & no molded GK logo. Not sure why the grille removal holes are not exposed on yours, but am curious if you can feel any evidence of them being there underneath the tolex? Hopefully the holes are there & just hiding!

15. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Dang I was hoping you had the older style :)

No I felt around and didn't find the holes (there's a joke about my youth there somewhere...) so I don't know. Guess I need to poke harder :)

16. TommyTippy

TommyTippy

Mar 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    LOL! Hopefully GK will chime in with some ideas (it would be a drag to have to send your amp back).

17. You have to poke a small screw driver or awl into the small holes on the bottom of the cab to pry the grill frame off the Velcro that holds it in place. There may be one or two small holes that have a black plug in them on each side of your cabinet. They're the same as the ones on the bottom (except that they have a plug in them to hide them). You have to remove the plug and insert a screw driver or awl in the hole to also pry the frame off the Velcro. Once you've got the frame accessible you can grab it and lift it out. To put it back into place, reposition it back into place and push down on the corners to make sure it contacting the Velcro then put the plugs back in place. You may have to back off the screws from the four black metal corner pieces on the front of the cabinet to allow the grill frame to come out.

Be careful with your tools because the finish on the MB-II Series cabinets is very fragile and will flake off if pressure is applied to it which leaves the wood below it exposed. If that happens a black permanent marker will be your best friend for fixing it.

TD

heynorm likes this.
  18. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    See I think this goes back to my idea of a design change...my amp has tolex and not that spray on stuff that can flake.

19. Socko

Socko

Jan 4, 2016
    Australia
    Hi all just joined to post a how to guide... for all those with Tolex covered MB112 units.
    Firstly there are 4 small pieces of velco in each corner of the grill.
    See the pics. So removal is pretty straight forward.

There are two methods I can see to remove the cover. 1 of which I have used.

1st... Which I have done. Simply use a small strip of metal thin enough to insert down the side between the grill and cabinet side wall. Make a 90degree bend in the metal about 10mm from the end of the strip. (See pics) Then simply insert between the grill and cabinet and maneuver the bend behind the grill. Then simply pull, and the grill will come off. No need to remove the corners as described in other posts.

2nd.... It looks as though you can remove the cabinet feet, and have direct access via small holes to pry the grill off as has already been described. (See pics.)

I have attached a few photos to help.
    Cheers !
    Steve

20160104_173313_resized.jpg 20160104_173431_resized.jpg 20160104_173504_resized.jpg

20. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Awesome info, @Socko !! Thanks!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021