1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacement 15" speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by doctorpunch, Nov 1, 2010.

1. I recent scored an old 70's Ampeg B25 2x15 cabinet on the cheap. It sounds good for the most part but the speakers sound like they are on their last legs. They occasionally fart on the mids. Right now I'm running that and an SVT810 off my SVT-4PRO. The 8x10 I run full range or dedicated to highs and the 2x15 I use solely for the low end.

I'm looking for speakers that can get nasty, boomy lows at a really high volume. I need some recommendations, all the searches here are about replacing 10's

Also, it's not necessary but I'm thinking about replacing the stock 1/4" jack with a speakon, thoughts?

2. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Get Eminence Beta 15's, and line the cab with foam/ acoustic dampening foam if it is not already.

That's about as good as you are going to get it simply just "dropping a speaker in".

In my experience, at least....

3. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    +1

I'm all for 2x15 cabs, but you might actually do better in the long run to save your $$$$ for either a 410HLF or an SVT-215E (if you can find one) or a pair of SVT-15E's. Even with different speakers, the B25 cab probably isnt going to give you the depth you want.

4. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Internal space and port measurements (square inches, depth) are required for a good guess.

5. I'm pretty sure any 15" speak would fit. It's pretty darn big.

As far as the Beta's go, a quick search offered only PA speakers...none specifically for bass. Does that matter?

Stiles, I got the cab in a trade for a bass I spent <$150 for and I only use it in places I have room for. The 810 is my workhorse. I'm just looking to fix it up for under $200 total.

6. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    The space inside the cabinet determines a lot of how speakers perform, and different speakers want different sizes of enclosures. Without a measurement of any ports and internal size of the enclosure, speakers are bad guesses at best.

Also, I would measure the size of the driver cutout. A lot of older drivers are different sizes.

7. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    The diameter of the speaker driver has little to do with the low end extension of the cabinet. That is almost entirely due to the tuning of the cabinet, i.e. its dimensions and internal volume rather than the speaker being a 10", 12" or 15". The current woofers probably fart out because the cabinet is probably too small and might be trying to get too much low end out of it, below its tuning frequency. With it being a really old cabinet, the tuning frequency (if it was actually designed properly) is probably closer to 60-70Hz.

You could replace the speakers and obtain horrible results, wasting your money. Or you might strike it lucky and have a fantastic sounding cabinet. It really is a crapshoot without knowing the cabinet tuning and T/S parameters of the replacement drivers you intend to purchase.

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    There's no point in using another cab along with an SVT unless it can deliver a lot of output below where the SVT can, and that's below 60Hz. For a 2x15 to do so it would have to be loaded with a pair of 3015LF drivers, and that requires a cab of not less than 8 cubic feet (net), vented, tuned to no higher than 40 Hz.

9. I honestly feel that's poppycock bill. I can feel/hear the difference instantly when the 2x15 is going.

I'll try to get some measurements later on.

Bassbrock, how does someone "tune" a cabinet exactly?

10. Just for clarification.....

"Fit" is one thing. Any 15" speaker will probably fit, and many of them will sound like doo-doo.

"Perform" is what you need. You need to select speakers which will perform well in the cabinet you have - and that is not true of all speakers.

11. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    Why not get the original speakers reconed?

12. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    The tuning of the cabinet is determined by the internal volume of the cabinet along with damping material and porting (if any).

http://www.lautsprechershop.de/hifi/aka_tune_ls_en.htm

And by the way, Bill knows what he is talking about. As hard of a pill it is to swallow, your ears are probably lying to you and your measurements (if properly done) will likely bear out what Bill has commented. Furthermore, you will hear things differently across the listening area (near the cab, farther from the cab, in the audience, etc) because you are mixing different drivers and cabinets with differing response causing unusual phasing, cancelation and interference across the entire listening area.

13. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Only because it's louder with two cabs than one. The likelihood that it goes significantly lower, if at all lower, is slight, unless the 8x10 is a first or second generation loaded with guitar drivers.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    bill's always right from a science standpoint. me, i'm into old ampeg cabs. throw a couple beta 15's in it and call it a day. i doubt you'd get any more wattage into that cab than the betas can take even if you used the delta 15a. but the beta and delta 15 are eminence's modern day version of the old cts ampeg speakers so you'll be able to keep the sound authentic. use separate tube svt's for best results ;)

speakon's really not necessary except with higher wattages, so i'd probably leave it.

15. Thanks Jimmy.

The speakon thing is simply me being OCD about it. I like how it locks in and it's symmetrical to me using the speakon with my 810. I might keep the 1/4" to keep it "authentic" anyway.

16. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Another option would be to give fliptops.net a call. They build exact reproductions of your cab so they ought to know what works best. Just checked their web site and it looks like they use Delta 15A drivers in their repro.

If you try to model this cab, remember this is a special case: it's neither truly sealed nor truly ported -- it's a "leaky" sealed box. I don't know if WinISD or its ilk are able to model cabs with designed-in leaks. But again, Fliptops probably knows what works best and you'll probably save yourself a boatload or trouble going that route.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    fliptops is all about the beta and delta.

18. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Those are probably the best options. But they won't go any lower than a Fridge. The low end response of a pair of Delta 15s or a pair of Beta 15s is very close to that of a Fridge. The Fridge is more sensitive above 100Hz, so it might subjectively seem to have less bass, but it doesn't.

19. Volume4

Volume4

Sep 15, 2009
    Long Island
    This is pretty much what you have,no?

http://www.fliptops.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=61_82&products_id=626

If so, as you can see Jimmy is correct....Bruce is using Deltas.

Also, check this out

http://www.fliptops.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=38_59_104&products_id=783

"LIGHTEN YOUR LOAD WITH THE NEW EMINENCE DELTALITE 15" SPEAKER. USES A NEODYMIUM MAGNET TO CUT DOWN THE WEIGHT WHILE STILL GIVING YOU THE SAME GREAT TONE AS THE STANDARD DELTA 15. TRY IT IN AN AMPEG B15 OR B25 2X15 CABINET. WEIGHS ONLY 6LBS! RATED AT 300 WATTS"