Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

replacement electronics for toby 6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by korchm, Oct 15, 2003.

1. korchm

korchm

Jul 17, 2003
    toronto, canada
    hey guys! can you recommend me some replacement electronics for my toby pro 6? the whole setup seems weak!

also, the eq only has volume, balance,treble and bass knobs. is it possible to add a midrange tone knob? or can i order it together with the electronics board and just drill another hole for it?

thanks a lot!!!

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i would recommend going to bestbassgear.com and picking up a prewired aguilar obp-3 with volume/blend/stacked bass-treble/mid/mid selector switch and drilling a small hole for the mid select switch wired for 18V. then get you some bart soaps to go with it.

3. korchm

korchm

Jul 17, 2003
    toronto, canada
    thanks bud! i am really hesitant to replace the bass itself.

4. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    i love the aguilar obp3 so good suggestion there...
    but i've upgraded cheap basses before, and i would advise against a bad pickup + great electronics combo. IMO great electronics will amplify the good AND bad of the pickups.

personally, i would replace the pickups first and then the electronics. OR do both! as neptoon said, barts + aguilar is a great combo (speaking from personal experience)

i've heard that the toby has great construction and bad electronics, so you could end up with a nice one.

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yeah, the tobies aren't too bad...but, with good elex, they can be great. the wood they use i wouldn't call top notch, but it doesn't have to be 10 top grade to be good sounding...and the neck through maple/wenge setup is about the best you're going to find for the price...and they have that super comfy assymmetrical thing going, too. the drilling for the mid select switch is about as elementary as you're going to get...it can be done with a small bit or a dremel...a really small job, considering the gains.

6. korchm

korchm

Jul 17, 2003
    toronto, canada
    exactly! the neck is sweet! it doesn't feel like a baseball bat. i may get them both at the same time. where can i find some bartolini 6 string soaps btw?

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    you can get the whole rig (and the aggie obp-3 prewired, which isn't normally prewired for you)here: button

8. korchm

korchm

Jul 17, 2003
    toronto, canada
    just a quick question, what is the mid select switch for?

9. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    it changes the center frequency (the center detent on the control knob) on the mid control from 400 to 800 Hz...it just gives you some more tonal options in the midrange.

10. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    you can wire it to do some other things too... i forget right now... check the aguilar website for the schematics and info.

11. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yeah, you can wire it to have volume/volume if you don't like the blend option, and you can also have it wired for an active/passive switch...also it can be wired for 9V, 18V, or 27V operation

12. korchm

korchm

Jul 17, 2003
    toronto, canada
    which is better? 9V or 18V?

13. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, honestly, that's a pretty subjective question...some people swear by their passive basses, but 18V gives you more headroom than 9V. you could go the 9V route and if you're not satisfied with the results, you could do a mod to go to 18V...personally, i like 18...but 27, wow...that might be a little much, plus, room for 3 batteries? jeez...

14. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I upgraded my Toby 6 with bartolini soapbars and a three-band bart circuit (stacked bass/treble). It sounds terrific now.

I have an OBP-3 in my new bass (MPG-6) -- I'm sure it's a better preamp, but I've never tried an Aguilar with Barts (though I don't doubt it would amaze)...instead I have Basslines soaps, which are also great (IMO). The Basslines won't fit in the Toby 6 however.

I wouldn't drill a hole in the Toby just for an Aggie switch though...just figure out what frequency you would like it wired at, and keep it fixed. Mine is at 250hz. Alternately, there's probably a way to get some sort of push/pull frequency shift, like I have for my Bart circuit (it switches between 250hz and 500hz).

You'll also have to shield the cavity if you use Barts. Just FYI.

Cheers,
    Aram

15. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Hey Aram, how did that upgrade go? I want to do the same to my toby pro 6. What pickups did you get?

16. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Hey guys -- it does indeed sound great. I don't remember the exact model, but you have to measure the spacing between outer string over each pickup. If you do a search in pickups, i think there is a thead where i gave the exact dimensions...i'll try and find it.

-Aram