1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Replacement for GK MB150

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by audiorep2, Jul 31, 2012.

1. I have been using one of these GKs for 6 years or so, and have been happy. But now there are rattles , buzzies, farts and well,....it's just worn out.
    Before I go buy a new one, I am wondering what else is out there,( same size, weight, performance ) that I should look at ?
    I play regular 4 string electric, and an Ampeg Baby Bass.

2. There is plenty of stuff out there, small combos by Acoustic Image, Markbass, AER, Genz Benz, Ibanez etc... Most of them sound better than the little GK, but... somehow in the band the GK works best in a way. It sits in the mix just right and what seems rough and hard by itself turns into clear and colorfull in the mix.
    I have best results lifting the combo to a bar stool level, so I can hear it well and the drummer too.

3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Perhaps having it serviced (professionally) might be your best option? Why don't you give GK a call and see what they suggest.

4. I did have it serviced. It was taken apart, and all things that could be tightened were. The speaker needs to be replaced, it works but not well.
    I think I'd rather sell the amp off and start over.

5. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Audio Rep 2,
    You could certainly do that, but if you like the sound of the GK then replacing the speaker is as easy as calling GK and ordering the part. Even if you do decide to sell it and get something else, the resale value of the amp would be better with a new speaker. There are lots of new amps out their like the Genz Benz Shuttle 6.2 and it's matching cabinets, but they are a sizable investment. Try the links below to check out Ed's review in Bass Player and videos from You Tube. It's best to use a good set of headphones to get the full picture.

Ric

http://www.bassplayer.com/article/genz-benz-shuttle-62-12t-combo/148498

6. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    I've got a few amps in my cupboard - right now I like my new GB Shuttle STL 3.0-10T - but I have a pub gig tonight in a very cramped space. So I'll take my GK 150MBS and I'll have it mounted on a stick, up to my chest height. It'll be a noisy Dixieland gig but I know the GK will work well. Quite looking forward to it.

7. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm using a Genz Benz 3.0-10T right now as well and I have really liked how versatile the combo is. Its lighter weight than the MB150S(used to own one), has more volume/headroom, and more tone control. That said, the GK is pretty reliable in terms of knowing what its going to provide on a gig. They do sound good.

8. bssist

bssist

Jun 23, 2007
    St. Louis, MO USA
    I'll have to check out the MB150. Sounds like a good amp. If you want to sell yours cheap pm me. Right now I am playing a Backline 600 into two 210 cabinets. The whole setup cost me less than $400 and works well for both db and bg. I switch back and forth for different tunes. I run the db with a realist into the Furman Pro Plat. Based on my experience it is a setup I would recommend. Some day I want to afford one of those little amps that practically fits in your pocket.

9. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I have been using the 8T and it hasn't let me down yet. I did add a spring loaded handle to the bottom to angle the combo up (8T doesn't come with this feature). I used the head only with Fdeck HPF for a theater run a few weeks back (mic'ing wasn't going to happen) and it worked great. It has been more versatile than I expected. The 8T being so small it disappears on the stage.

10. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I had a 3.0-8T and while it was good for Double Bass, it didn't have enough bottom for electric(I double quite a bit on both). Its a cool combo though. Ridiculously light weight.

11. Mouldy

Mouldy

Feb 27, 2010
    Western Australia
    I've been using a GKMB150E for 18 years and although mine is fairly worn out I'm going to have a fault repaired and get it up to good order. I recently bought an Acoustic Image Ten2 which is fantastic but it works best medium to loud volume and the GK works best at lower (and medium volume with an extension speaker). If the tech can't bring it up to its former glory I'll be buying another one because they are great and very useful. I'd suggest keeping yours and then perhaps buying something new as well.

12. This is what I ended up with.
    AER Amp One and berg IP112.
    qwe.

13. Treaks

Treaks

Jun 9, 2011
    Maplewood NJ
    I'm using the GK MB112. It's about twice the depth of the MB150, but it's more powerful, warmer sounding, has more bottom end, and weighs about the same. It's cheap too. About $330 or so.

14. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Bryan, TX
    I use the EA Doubler with a custom-made Schroeder 1X10 that KILLS. Very small. I had Studio Slips make me a custom carying bag for it. My fave mini rig o'doom!