1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacement iec cord for streamliner 900?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrBKerth, Oct 6, 2013.

1. MrBKerth

MrBKerth The Gypsy Bravado

Apr 20, 2013
    Texas
    Recently at a gig mildly far away my power cord for my genz benz streamliner 900 disappeared. I have a fender rumble with an iec cord and was wondering if this is a suitable transplant. It has "300v" on it and I wasnt sure if these cables had specific grades.

2. MIMike

MIMike

Jan 1, 2013
    West MI
    Almost any will work, but I try to make sure I get as heavy a gauge as possible. Most of them you have around are probably 18ga. That's what most computer and rack equipment uses. I look for the 14ga. versions and make sure I have 2 or 3 on hand.

3. MrBKerth

Apr 20, 2013
    Texas
    So none of the amp grade ones I have on band are gonna harm my amp?

4. No amps shall be harmed ;)

5. It's just a power cord, nothing special is needed. If it plugs in and has all three "prongs" you are golden. 16awg or 14awg is better than 18awg but I doubt even 18awg will get warm. That is the test for a cord being too small a gauge (awg= American Wire Gauge), the bigger the number the smaller the wire size.

6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    16 gauge is ideal, 14 gauge is overkill. The thing to check is that it fits snugly. There are some really sloppy IEC cables out there that will not make good contact and can vibrate loose.

7. MrBKerth

Apr 20, 2013
    Texas
    Thanks for the peace of mind guys. I had heard it wouldn't be damaging but when I have almost no money I can't afford to harm my only gigging rig. Especially one this nice.

The cord is 18 gauge (the fender one I have in spare) I just found the stamp on it

Thanks again,
    MrBKerth

8. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
  9. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    18 gauge is fine also. The 1/8-power consumption (average power when just hitting limiting) is well within the legal capacity of an 18 gauge power cable. This is what the cable is sized to, either 18 gauge, or greater depending on the current draw according to UL reqts.

10. MrBKerth

Apr 20, 2013
    Texas
    Thanks agedhorse. This was my first amp head besides a vintage bassman and you've answered many of my question. Even if Genz gets consumed by fender it looks like there's one more dedicated customer

11. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    One dark autumn night in '68, in a totally packed night club in Pawtucket, Rhode Island, a cymbal stand fell off the back of the stage. It had been propelled in it's fall by a tall dark-eyed young textile worker, who lost her balance trying to land a kiss on the drummer's mouth.

The girl toppled unharmed, but the cymbal severed my power cord. This was when power cords were not internationalized. I found a removable plug on a floor polisher, and attached the plug to the "stump." Back on stage in under 20 minutes—but a spare is better.

12. Was it a Crash, splash or ride..........ah the cymbal of course. :D

13. Giggity!

14. MrBKerth

Apr 20, 2013
    Texas
    Excellent story and even better scrounging ability.
    :D

15. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Ride. This was Pawtucket, after all. :bag:

16. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    Thanks, but you ain't seen nothing! On a gig, I once carved a P-bass nut with a pocket knife out of the spine of an ACE Unbreakable comb. It was still on the bass when I sold it 8 years later. :ninja:

17. MrBKerth

Apr 20, 2013
    Texas
    When I lived in the dorms here we used to have to scrounge all the time. 5 dollars of rice a week, microwave boiling spaghetti, having no real heat so we got a space heater and put it under the couch draped in a blanket like a kotatsu.