1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacement Pickup Sizing

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 3rdInstar, Jul 22, 2019.

1. 3rdInstar

3rdInstar

Jul 22, 2019
    Not sure if this has been answered before, but I just bought a bass with two J pickups that I want to replace with Entwistle JBXs. Does the size of the pickup have to match exactly, or just the mounting screws?

The existing neck pickup, for example, is 90mm by 17mm. The Entwistle JBX neck pickup is 92mm x 18.7mm. I haven't taken the screws out yet, but it looks like the mounting ears and screw holes will line up, but the fit of the pickup in the cavity might be tight. Does that matter?

Is it a matter of "if it fits, it sits"? Or do I need to find J's that are the exact size in every dimension?

2. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    There are typically a couple j sizes. Fender did a mismatched set where bridge is slightly longer than neck. For the most part you'll find em in that configuration or in 2 longs. It's pretty standardized and pickup manufacturers are more than familiar. Just reach out to the maker with your measurements and confirm you're ordering the right ones.

3rdInstar likes this.
  3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021