1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Replacement speaker for Ampeg B115e?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mattsdad, Jan 10, 2012.

1. mattsdad

mattsdad

Oct 5, 2009
    Anybody know of a good replacement for this?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Eminence Beta 15a or Delta 15a.

3. mattsdad

mattsdad

Oct 5, 2009
    Thanks Jimmy! I was really hoping you'd comment. You and Bongo are the best.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Thx bro...good luck with it!

5. ddbassGA

ddbassGA Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Athens, GA
    Delta for this ported cab.

6. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Beta 15 and Delta 15 are not musical instrument speakers.

they are designed for mid bass drivers in a PA system
    and need to be run on a highpass filter to keep bass frequencys to destroy them.

Otherwise as a fullrange musical instrument speaker they will handle no more than 40 watts below 100hz

I think your using the delta in your portaflex Jimmy, and it might work fine with a 35 to 50 watt amp, otherwise wont work well at all in a highly powered 5 cubic foot box like the 115e.

The TS calculated sensitivity of the beta is horrible at 95dB
    the Delta a little better at 96dB

The cast frame Eminence CB158 Legend at 98dB is the affordable go too driver.
    and is most likely the speaker Ampeg is using.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    The CB158 only does 3k on the top end, therefore they don't have the sound. Betas and Deltas are voiced to sound like vintage Ampeg CTS speakers, they're Eminence's speakers of choice to use in Ampeg and other vintage style bass cabs, and do not need to be run with an HPF to keep them from blowing. I've run them with a 500w amp screaming loud and they were fine.

8. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    I've used a Delta to replace a blown driver in an SVT-215E, and I also used a pair in a toasted SVT-215E that I bought on the cheap and restored. Haven't had any issues with any of them, and I typically run a 450 watt 3-pro on them.

You may also want to just call Ampeg and see how much the OEM driver would run from them. I dropped one of the new Purple Eminence Portaflex drivers in my B15 and the cost was about the same as getting an Eminence driver from MF or GC.