1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Request: Feedback on video-based bass systems

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Cervantes, May 10, 2010.

1. Cervantes

Cervantes

May 9, 2010
    Hey all, :help:

I am stumped and would like some advice before I take my next step in bass guitar.

I know enough about music theory to understand why I need to understand and internalize it a lot more. :) I believe that the ideal thing for me would be to find a good bass instructor and take lessons. Unfortunately, this is not an option right now. We live in a small town. I cannot find a suitable teacher in the area, and do not have the time and money to drive to the nearest "real" town.

I am thinking about one of the video-based programs out there. I have narrowed it down to Mr. Vogt's Teach Me Bass Guitar and Fretboard Formula.

If I could play with these for 10 minutes each I am certain I would know if they would work for me, and which one would fit my needs best.

I am hoping to get some feedback from people who have used them.

- Are they organized in a way that one could follow along and learn in a logical order? This is my main concern with both. Many years ago I had a system like this for guitar. The content was brilliant, but I could not ever get a good sense of what order to take the lessons in. Everything was divided into different areas and I could not get a grasp on which area to work on when... Does that make sense?

- Is the content good? I want something that helps me develop a good foundation in theory and technique. I don't want any bad info, but I also want to be sure I am learning the info I need to get where I can really play well.

- Is it enjoyable? I don't mind spending some time memorizing and such. But if the instruction is boring... or if the material is *too* theory and not enough playing...

I am open to other systems as well. I think this approach makes sense for me though, because I seem to learn best from someone showing me something, and then doing it myself. Perhaps later I will be in a position to get a real, live teacher - or maybe I will learn enough that I can make see the stuff on you-tube etc, and know what to do with it.

Sorry for being so verbose! I was hesitant to write this because I don't want to stir the pot and other questions about these programs have been discussed. I decided to ask anyhow because both are a lot of money for me right now and I really want to do this right.

Thank you so much,
    Cervantes

BTW, I found this list as I was researching looking for answers to this question. I googled several website reviews, but many seemed fabricated for marketing purposes. How can I find feedback that is not "marketing?" That led me here, and I found some interesting info on these and other systems. The concerned I expressed here are the ones I could not find answers to. Thanks again!

2. Im on chapter 4 of TMBG (Vogts) and loving every minute of it. It is laid out great and is very user friendly.
    Im a happy user.

3. Cervantes

Cervantes

May 9, 2010
    I am really glad to hear you are enjoying it so much. I think that is key to me as well... If I enjoy it, I am more likely to stick with it. I enjoy playing and I even enjoy the reading and memorization. But it does help for it to be enjoyable!

You said it was well laid out. I am taking that to include that it is clear what you should study when, yes? I suppose being a DVD serious would help in that area. Less likely to be a series of loosely connected clips.

Hmm. Part of me is tempted to order both and then return the one I like less... I would loose the shipping costs on one of them, but it would be an easy way to see which works best for me.... assuming they both really do stand behind their return policies. Perhaps I should call both places and ask them if they are good with that. I would hate to do it if it cost the company I don't go with.

Thanks again. Any other thoughts are welcome. Any Fretboard Formula users out there willing to share more than is already out there? If you prefer to keep it offline, PM me.

Cervantes

4. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Perhaps I'm not answering the right question, but I've really enjoyed on-line lessons with Todd Johnson over the internet using iChat. I hope you'll look into it, he's a great teacher.

5. Cervantes

Cervantes

May 9, 2010
    LM Bass,
    That is an option I had not considered... I will check into it! That could overcome the drive to the Big City for lessons. I will check into it.

It is hard to know the best next steps when you are just getting serious. This info (and the searching on the TB archives) is helping a lot.

Cervantes.

6. Its done in steps, and looks to be pretty well thought out. He doesn't hold your hand and you have to put the work in, but he shows us where to go, and how to get there. Its basically flip the page, master it then flip to the next one. It builds up nicely and fairly rapidly, I was kind of surprised at how fast he got me to move, In a good way. The course has the tab as well as notation, he wants you to read from day one. Around 3/4 of the way thru, he dumps the tab and forces notation for the rest of the study, Im glad I thumbed to that page where he says bye bye to the tab, it really made me focus on the reading. It hasn't really slowed me down.

I dont know anything about the other methods mentioned, I never looked beyond DVD instruction as that is good for how I learn.

7. Cervantes

Cervantes

May 9, 2010
    Thanks so much for the feedback. This is all really helpful. It is difficult as a beginner to know what direction to go. I was a bit nervous to even post my question on this forum because... well, it can be a but intimidating asking questions amongst so many who have already progressed so far. Especially when the approach I am looking at is not the conventional "go get a teacher" approach, which would probably be ideal.

One thing on the TMBG website they show is two videos that really focus on theory. That is a good thing because that is my weak area. I am wondering if he later ties it in with how to apply that theory to creating new bass riffs.

The website has an overview of what is on the DVD, but it does not have a complete lists... like a table of contents. Is anyone aware of something like that for this system? I think that would answer a LOT of my questions.

Well, thanks again. Seriously, you have been helpful, even though I am not even sure how to articulate my questions!

Cervantes

8. roy's method is geared towards giving the student the tools to create ....by mastering the instrument one can translate his ideas into music.....i have not seen it but,from the conversations in roy's thread and others,i would feel confident in his approach.....the only thing i would add is that you have to hit the woodshed and do the work.......you get out what you put in

9. Cervantes

Cervantes

May 9, 2010
    Well, from all I have read and seen, I am convinced. I just ordered TMBG and should receive it by Friday or Monday! Thanks for that extra bit of insight from everyone. It really helped.

Jim_Campbell, I believe you are right about the translation into playing. And I *know* you are right about practicing. For me, one of the great things about using a system is that it gives me direction and incentive in my practicing.

I can't wait!

Many Thanks,
    Cervantes

10. Cool Im JeffB over there

11. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2010
    NJ
    Here's a recent thread from a poster who blogged about his experience with the TMBG material.