Resetting neck to change angle ?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Kevinlee, May 24, 2004.

1. Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    Here's my problem...I've been fixing up an old no name ply bass, I've had a new adjustable bridge installed, fingerboard dressed soundpost, adjusted etc...The bass has a really nice sound, but it has a very steep neck angle. This makes playing pizz at the end of the fingerboard tricky unless I have the action higher than I like.

On my carved bass which has less of a steep neck angle the pizz playing is great in that area. I'm probably spoiled and am trying to get that kind of feel out of this ply bass.

Is having the neck reset to lessen the angle a worthwhile pursuit? An expensive pursuit? A pipe dream?

Could I perhaps have the relief in the board changed so it is more towards the end of the fingerboard?

It has good clearance about 2/3 of the way down but gets a little close at the end.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I don't understand your problem exactly, but from what you say toward the end of your post it sound like the curve on the board isn't to your liking rather than neck angle. A steep angle on the neck makes the upper range more accessible, not the other way around...
  3. Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    Yea maybe I'm looking for a solution in the wrong place. I am just going by comparison to my other bass. And it just seems the graduation of the strings towards the nut is more comfortable. And I might be just assuming this is partly due to the neck angle.

Maybe it's not a neck angle problem at all and just the curve on the board as you said. I will take it back in to see if he can change this a bit.

Is there a standard area for the curve to be or is it a more to each his own kind of thing?

All I go by is it either feels right or it doesn't.

Pretty much my same scientific approach towards playing.