1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Resort Gig requires a bass preamp.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gougedeye, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    So here's the deal. My band is about to begin an 8 week run at this resort. We are going to use a couple Bose L1 Model 2s for PA and monitors. Space is very limited, so we will be running direct. No amps. I need to find myself a decent Bass Preamp w/ modeling capabilities. Anybody have any experience and/or ideas I should try? Thanks in advance.

2. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

Feb 16, 2011
    South Carolina
    Sansamp bddi 200new 125 used.... Done

3. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro. Not a pedal, but it is fairly small for a rack-mount, and cheap used.

4. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    Vt deluxe, the pedal of the future

5. +1

-RTK

6. EskimoBassist

EskimoBassist

Nov 2, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    There's lots of great options out there, it just depends what kind of bass sound you want.

I went for the MXR M-80 as it works well with my set up, but if I were you I'd be looking at the new Eden WTDI, Aguilar Tone Hammer or one of the SansAmp range. My money is on the Aguilar - I think it's the most flexible out of the lot.

7. Gougedeye

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    Thanks for the replys!

8. Yorick

Yorick

Nov 10, 2006
    Cheap option, Behringer BDI21 :D

9. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    I prefer the Behringer ADI21 to the BDI21. The mids control (with adjustable frequency) is handy with bass.

10. AMT BC-1. Dedicated cab sim output for going straight to mixer

11. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    +1.

BTW I'm jealous of your gig.

:p

Sounds sweet... you get to stay (and eat) there as part of the deal too, I assume?

12. Robdrone

Robdrone

Jul 27, 2012
    Lancaster, PA
    If money is no object, I've heard the Avalon U5 is amazing. However also not a pedal.

13. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    Just out of curiosity would an amp head with a DI out work? Assuming you already have one it would save you a purchase.

14. Gougedeye

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    It should be interesting...We only live 30 miles away, so we'll drive back and forth. the band and our significant others get to eat and drink, within reason, as part of the package.

15. Gougedeye

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    I thought about just using my head, but I realized I want something that will fit on my pedal board.

16. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    gbq.

17. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I've heard its hard on your amp to run it without a cabinet plugged in... But that may be an old wives tale.

18. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I think that's old school tube amps.

19. Gougedeye

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    I have the new Fender Super Bassman 300. It will run with out a cab, but I need something light and easy to move that doesn't take up too much space.

20. 8 week run? Sounds fun! Congrats on the show dude.

Depends what your budget is and what you want your bass tone to be 'modelled' like
    B7k ~ $350 > can be pretty aggressive, but also really nice grit for that modern rock sound
    SansAmp BDDI ~ $150-200 > more of a tubey sound, very nice and reminiscent of the ampeg svt3pro
    MXR M-80 DI ~ $125-150 > my old favourite, ran it DI when recording. was great. i guess it's a bit more like a more transparent sansamp without the bells and whistles. great for a budget and a solid unit on its own.