Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

retro basses???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by page, Dec 29, 2004.

1. I need a new bass and i cant afford my ideal instrument a Rickenbacker, but Im interested in retro looking basses. I like the Hollowbody and Surf looks they had in the 60s and all, but i dont know of any. So can anyone suggest a brand or a bass thats less than 800$ and sounds pretty good?The only one i know of is the Epiphone Jack Casady bass, which i like , but i hear bad things of epiphone so i dunno.
    Thanks a million.

2. As far as hollow bodies, I really liked the Ibanez Artcore. They sell for around 350-ish new.

I would try to find a Reverend PJ in '29 orange. You could have got that new for 700, but they recently went out of production.

You can get a pretty nice Ric for $800. You are only a few hundred away from a new one.

I really like the essex '62 jazz. It looks very retro and is only 140 clams. . .a photo of which is attached herein.

A used guild starfire would be nice.

and a used Warwick Fortress Flashback, also out of production, sell around 500-600.

These are just a cross section of retro-looking axes. A Fender P or J bass is retro in that it has changed very little. With the chrome covers it has looks to die for.

3. Find a used Reverend and don't look back.

4. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    The Ibanez Artcores are great for the money but I definitely would also check out the Washburn AB90. A great semi-hollowbody bass for not alot of green

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Actually, the most retro bass you could get would be a solid body P :bassist:

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Yeah, I'd love a Sting bass personally. That's retro like nuts.

7. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Check out the new Fender Jaguar IV Bass, very retro style with modern electronics. $699.00

This is one very cool bass.

TD

8. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    reverend rumblefish
    epiphone allen woody signature
    end of search;)

9. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    Not sure if you are looking for new or used but the best selection of used basses that I know of that fits that description is at Diamond Strings in Rochester, NY. I have never been to the shop or had any dealings with them, but I get a kick out of the 60's and 70's vibe of the basses on their website.

http://www.diamondstrings.com/inventor.htm#Basses

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I have bought a vintage bass from Diamond Strings, and the deal went well. The price was higher than "Ebay value", but it was worth it as he would have taken it back if there was anything wrong. He was very helpful on the phone and by email.

Also, check this thread. Talk about cool vintage looks!

11. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Reverend Rumblefish, naturally!:D

12. TheMightyQuinn

TheMightyQuinn

Dec 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    Gretsch

13. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I just have to chime in here with a GREAT find that I recently acquired... A '70 Hohner XB250 nearly identical to this one on the Diamond Strings site... Mine is a bit more 'used' looking and I am in the process of partially restoring it... It had an aftermarket bridge added that skewed the string spacing, (it looks to be .625" center-to-center rather than the .75" that the aftermarket bridge had), and the wiring was very poorly redone. I got a good deal on it, and it had exactly the vibe I was going for... Sounded very good with my roots/rock band and I can't wait to finish it up and play it again!

Now back to the retro bass thread, currently in progress...

-robert

14. 8guy

8guy

Jun 19, 2005
    Madison WI
    Find a Hondo Danelectro copy, Ultra vintage look with a good P bass sound!!!!!!

15. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    Italia Mondial

[​IMG]

16. +1 on the ITALIA!

17. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    + 2 on the Italia

A friend of mine has an Italia guitar - appears to be a high quality instrument. If you want to go new - it would be a fine choice - the design certainly has that 60's vibe.

18. Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Sep 24, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Danelectro longhorn!

19. Check out Waterstone basses. Tom Petersson of Cheap Trick designed a 12 string bass with them, and a short scale Indra 4 string bass. These basses have a great tone, look cool, and play REALLY nicely! Check them out at waterstoneguitars.com
    I own a few and am VERY happy with them!

20. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Someone beat me to the Italia, but not the modulo. That thing is retro as well. Older danelectro DC basses, and the current longhorns are sweet.