Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Return Pod PRO and get a...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by i like tictacs, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Well I have a POD Pro and it just...sucks, my tone that is. It's noisy and I never use it. I have an ampeg SVT5 and ampeg hlf410e cabinet. See, I have this 12 space rack to fill, and getting rid of the pod just makes it even more useless. :hyper:

So, are there any suggestions for effects things to throw in? I dig some of wooten's tones, lessard, mike gordon. what about wireless (i know, wrong forum) but i'm really lost. This is a pretty ambiguous question and i'm open to trying anything. so suggest away.

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

A Boss VF-1 will cover many needs.

3. bonk.

4. Are you simply looking to enhance your tone or are you looking for effects? If you're into effects, ditto Jazz Ad, the Boss multieffects are some of the best. Look into the SE-70 (discontinued) as well.

Things you could get for pure tone-shaping are: Aphex Aural Exciter, BBE Sonic Maximizer, DBX Compressor, SansAmp RBI preamp, Dual 31-band Eq in 2 rack spaces, and X-wire wireless in 2 rack spaces, Furman Power conditioner, Korg rack tuner.

a 12 space rack without any effects could look like this, from top to bottom:
    Furman (1)
    X-wire (2)
    Tuner (1)
    Compressor (1)
    EQ (2)
    BBE (1)
    SVT-5 (4)

The key to having everything sound good is knowing how to use it all. That's the key to all those players' sound. A guy who knows how to Eq and tone shape his bass and technique properly could get by with just the head and cabinet. Sell your 12-space, buy a 4 space and you should be fine. Sometimes more is just more.

ps. don't look at my signature...

5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Well, if he is getting rid of the POD because it is noisy then I doubt that he will like the VF-1. The VF-1 is a fun little unit, but I find it to be fairly noisy as well.

My recommendation would be to simply move to a smaller rack unless there is an effect that you really want to have.

6. Or you could get a couple of these:[​IMG]

7. Tell me alittle more about this EQ. I already have a BBE. I was really naive when I got into all this rack shenanigans and just piled the stuff on. As time went by I was just starting to realize I was wasting my money and impulse buying. Less = More now is what I've realized for the most part. I've got a furman, korg tuner and bbe along with the svt5. I think it's going to be at least the wireless unit.

8. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Or a rack drawer for stashing stuff like cords, etc. in to.

The VF-1 isn't the quietest out there, but I like the tones much better than the POD. For a 1/2 space multi FX, it's a neat effects unit. I like it much better than most of the multi FX I've tried.

Another thing to consider is getting a smaller rack. Carrying my 4 space to gigs seems to be enough of a pain already. I can't imagine multiplying the bulk and weight by three, if you don't really need it. But, I'm lazy so this might not pertain to you.

9. It's got wheels. So it's not bad.

10. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Yea, but I find that if you keep adding boxes without really needing them, you tend to just negatively impact your sound. It took me a while to realize this, but now I only play through boxes when I really need them for the sound that I'm going after.

11. Well, I was kind of joking about the EQ, but since you don't have a graphic eq on your head, it's something you could add, if you wanted to. What a graphic EQ is great for is isolating a particular frequency that troubling you and cutting/boosting it as necessary. It more specific than a parametric, but they can be really tricky if your ears aren't tuned into frequencies. I know mine aren't.

Something like this eq by Rane:

[​IMG]

But lately I've been telling people about the Alesis digital/programmable graphic eq with presets. I want one of these, but mostly just for the lights.

[​IMG]

12. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Until you run into a flight of stairs.

13. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, look at all the pretty lights. I want one. :cool:

14. I'm young and able :p

15. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    I'm old and lazy :D

16. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Jive1 said:
    "Or a rack drawer for stashing stuff like cords, etc. in to..."

THERE ya go: a rack drawer and a slide-out shelf.

Joe

17. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yep- mine comes in handy! I use it to stash cords, instruction manuals and even a small tackle box for things like a flashlight, allen wrenches for my bass and other tools, etc.

There is one for sale here in these forums:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148393

[​IMG]

18. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Funk Logic gear. :) I've got a 6 space rack-and am looking into getting a 3rd preamp to fill it up [maybe another RBI] that way i have a "vintage" set up on 1 RBI, a hifi Electric on the BMax T and then the Upright setup on the other RBI. :)

For your mega rack? I'm not familiar with many [any] rack effects units. I'd probably go for the rack drawers or something similar.