1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reverend Mike Watt sig...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Plake, Mar 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Plake

Plake Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2010
    image.

2016 reverend prototype bass
    designed for watt using his ideas
    short scale neck length
    custom joe naylor pickup
    hipshot machines

Must be getting closer to reality. This is on Watts Hoot page. Not much of a sig model guy but looks cool. I dig this one....
    image.
    From Reverend forums

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This is not an attempt to knock either party but.....

It just looks like something that comes from both trying to be something they are not.

3. mfbolton

mfbolton Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Love me some short scales! I hope they produce it.

Short-scale likes this.
  4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I prefer the P pickup version with the 4 in-line headstock. I also like the offset waist SG---ish body.

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Maybe after it is all banged up and has some stickers on it the thing will almost make sense. This just looks like Reverend making a poor attempt at being Gibson. Never mind the bass is a bit "classy" and "tame" for his persona.

I'm with @mongo2 on this.

For me the first version looks more Reverend and more Mike Watt than the second.

6. lookin' pretty First Act there

7. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    The ESP/Ltd Viper 54 comes to mind, although it's 34" scale.

1632269ltdviper54.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  8. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,

Back in ancient times a friend of mine in Detroit had a Kalamazoo Bass that looked like a Gibson EB series bass in a Lake Placid Blue colour. That little short scale bass had the best action I've ever experienced. And yes I've played many a properly set up bass in my time but there was just something about that one that stuck in my mind. I remember I tried to buy it from him but he wouldn't let it go. Not really a big fan of short scale but I think I will check this one out.

Rezdog

Dave Bassincus likes this.
  9. I saw him with it last Friday. I see two fingers' point but I don't think Mike was too concerned with how it looked. The anchor at the 12th fret is an awesome touch. I asked him after the show if he had retired the Gibson. He said no, just that Reverend had been working with him on a bass but that it wasn't quite there yet.
    image.

10. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    I really have no comment on the basses themselves, but does anyone else think/hope that Mike will just end up modding the crap out of his own signature bass? It's just seems like his style. In a good way, IMO. The guy is an amazing player on any instrument anyway.

11. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    I always welcome new short scales, but for once I'm not really liking these.

12. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I do rather like the look of these and I'm not a shortscale guy. As for the headstocks I'm kind of torn. The 4 in line is a clear harkening to Reverend's past while the 2+2 is a classic look that better fits a Gibson'esque vibe.

This bass just cries out to me for a refin in trans brown and a Darkstar or some sort of vintage humbucker in the middle. Also some cloverleafs.

TheDominoKid and MattZilla like this.
  13. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I would so rock the P version. The MM, not so much. Admittedly, both look somewhat out of place, But the P less so. For some reason I just don't find MM pickups aesthetically pleasing in anything that isn't a MM. I think the 2x2 headstock looks better on this bass.

bolophonic and Jah Wobble Fan like this.
  14. My love for Mike Watt knows no bounds - despite not being big on short scales, I intend to try if not buy one of these!

15. Don't forget the anchor inlay!

16. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    It's like a tiny little toy.

bolophonic likes this.
  17. Its HIS sig its not suppose to make anyone happy but him

18. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Couple points: First, Mike's been playing short scales almost exclusively for 15 years now. Second, the first Reverend proto above looks very much like a bass (not sure what brand) I saw Mike playing with Iggy and the Stooges in 2013--a clean, reddish shorter-scale P bass. So the Reverend sig model didn't come out of nowhere. (When I saw him with the Missingmen in '14, he was still playing a modded SG.)

I'm a huge Watt fan and hope to at least try this, even though I have multiple P basses already.

19. Of the two Gibson EBs he has, one of them has just the one pickup in the same spot it is on the Reverend. He modded both the EBs to move the neck pickup back. He said it was too muddy otherwise. I guess the bridge pickup isn't as important to his sound.

MobileHolmes likes this.
  20. MojoPenguin

MojoPenguin

Jul 11, 2014
    Europe Bro'
    That's not where I would put a MM type pickup... Like the first one better, but both are cool.