Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

reverend P pickups -- $18!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by robb., Jan 3, 2006.

1. i rolled over to naylor's shop in warren a couple weeks ago and bought a set of 8.7k P pickups. he has tons of them. best $18 ($19 cash, tax included) i have ever spent on pickups.

i put them in an old plywood P i have, which previously had a bartolini P in it. i really liked the girth of the bartolini, but it often lacked definition and really begged for a bridge J. i got some great tones with it, but it wasn't always a classic P tone.

i rehearsed last night with the reverend P, and it was really nice. it cut well, and it was big and round. it's just a good, rock P tone that fills a mix nicely. it sounded really rich and resonant through both the classic 400 and the warwick quadruplet with crest Pro7200. the cabinet was an HT-112 for both.

if you have a cheap P bass (SX, for example) that you plan on upgrading, save yourself some money and get one of these. you may even like the tone enough to put it in a good P bass. not a bad $20 to have lying around, just in case. i might go buy another, just for fun. and i think i'll be selling a bartolini to fund it.

robb.

2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Huh...I had called them less than a week ago to ask if I could buy pups from them for a project, adn they said "no!."

3. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I snagged one of each type that they listed, 7.3K, 8.7K, and 10K, just to try out in my old P-Bass for the heck of it. For $18 bucks a piece, why not?

They're listed here, a little past halfway down.

4. Chef -- wasn't it that you had asked about 5string J pickups? they did have boxes of J pickups, both single and sets, but i'm assuming that means they're 4 string only. if i go back any time soon, i can ask for you.

when i first installed them, i had them way too high, which sucked out all the low end. i was very worried, especially coming from a thick bartolini P, but it turned out it was all pickup height. when adjusted properly, they are adquately thick in the low end. not super deep, but nice and round in a mix.

i love a P that cuts. it matches very nicely with my HT-112.

robb.

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    yessir, 5 strings. I've pretty much decided to go nordstrand for right now on the project I'm working on...

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    One bummer about these Reverend pickups, at least the 8.7 one I got, is that they're wired series. The black wire from side 1 goes straight into side 2. In order to install a series/parallel switch I'm going to have to split the cable and soldier on more wire. Bummer.

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    A lot of pickups are like that. Anyone got any comment on the sound. I have been considering buying one myself.

8. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    i picked up a pair of j's and a set of p's afew weeks back for a yet-to-be-determined future project. Couldn't beat the price and my 'fish sure got mojo!

ps--both 4 string

9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    The stock Reverend PJ setup is hot and punchy. Not particulaly vintage, not particularly modern. Nice middle of the road set. I pulled mine in favor of Aero Type 1's as I wanted to go vintage but the Reverend pickup isn't bad at all.

The deal about having to cut a wire and add to the length seems like no big deal if you're already doing a series parallel switch...

10. What did they charge you? $18 for one (as in one of the two pups that make up a P pup setup, for a total of $36), or a complete set (ready to install into a bass)?

11. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass

im pretty sure its 18$ for the bass and treb pup... pbass pups usually sell in the "set"

could just be me... but ive never seen pbass pups sold as individuals

12. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    It's $18 for the set. I just snagged two sets myself. I love the tone of my Reverend P/J and wanted some for future use.

13. i'm not an expert on P pickups, but i can say that the sound is very aggressive. certainly much moreso than the bartolini P i had in my bass. i think the bartolini was designed to be very smooth and have definition added by a bridge position J pickup.

there is a nice, round bottom end to it that works very well in a mix, but its main characteristic is an aggressive cut in the mid to high-mid frequencies.

check out this poor recording for an idea of its sound room-miked with a dynamic mic.

robb.

14. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I put together my project bass with the Reverend P pickup and I'm very impressed! This pickup sounds fantastic! :hyper:

15. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    $18?

this would almost be enough to go for a Double P Bass, but I doubt my parents would be too happy with that...

16. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass

which one did you pick up?

17. i got the production model, 8.7k. i think the 10k could sound really nice, too. the 7.3k would probably be too trebly for most; definitely for me.

robb.

18. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Dumb question here, but what is the difference between neck and bridge jazz pickups? Reverend has some neck pickups for sale as well.

19. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Size. Standard Jazz Bass neck pickups are slightly smaller than bridge pickups. They're not interchangable.

20. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Thanks