1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reversing the Split P pickups in a Mustang Bass PJ

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by HiMyNameIsGreg, Mar 30, 2020.

1. HiMyNameIsGreg

HiMyNameIsGreg

Mar 30, 2020
    Hi all,

I have recently went and turned my Jaguar Player Series Bass into a Mark Hoppus Jag Signature. (Reversed the Split P's, Changed the pickups for Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound, Hybrid Slink Ernie Ball strings).

This bass has become my absolute favorites to play - just due to the fact that it sounds incredible.

I thought to myself how would it sound if I did the same thing to a Fender Mustang PJ?
    Will there be a pronounced difference?

UMA1 and Zoobiedood like this.
  2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

It's why Ibanez P/J don't sound like Fender P/J:

s-l640.jpg

UMA1 likes this.
  3. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    I find the difference more pronounced (and better sounding) on PJ basses. The P just seems to blend better when it’s reversed. I presume this would work similarly on short scale basses like Mustang...

with just the P pickup, the difference is less pronounced, and after some experimentation I learned that I preferred having a classic P (non-reversed) when there is no bridge pickup...

HiMyNameIsGreg likes this.
  4. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    I think reverse Ps sound better balanced across the strings. There are two ways to reverse the pickup: for tighter lows, keep the treble half in place, and move the bass half toward the bridge; for plummier highs, keep the bass half in place and move the treble half toward the neck. (I'm guessing the second option is better for P-J?)

Another way to improve P-J blending is to add a series/parallel switch for just the P pickup. (Not a terribly useful tone for a P pickup on its own, but when blended, it's less prone to overpowering the J.)

UMA1, ctmullins and HiMyNameIsGreg like this.
  5. HiMyNameIsGreg

HiMyNameIsGreg

Mar 30, 2020
    I will keep this in mind. This idea stemmed from "if i could customize a bass and make it kind of my own."

fermata likes this.
  6. Well. Somebody better tell Sadowsky, Fodera, Lakland, G&L etc.... that they're doing it wrong. ; D

7. jbrew73

jbrew73

Dec 24, 2006
    No need to tell them . I’m sure they already know they suck. Lol

8. :D:roflmao:

jbrew73 likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021