1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Review of my Ramirez Custom

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bhuti, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Bhuti

Bhuti

May 9, 2006
    Harlem, NY
    Warehouse/Shop Asst. & endorsing artist of Warwick Basses
    Hey guys, just a very thorough review of my brand new Ramirez.

Here are the specs:

Singlecut
    35" Scale
    Ash neck
    Walnut Body
    Burl maple top
    Wenge Fingerboard
    Audere 3 Band Preamp
    Q-tuner pickups
    Set Neck construciton
    5 String Tuned E-C
    Hipshot De-tuner
    Hipshot A Bridge

Okay, First of Wilser is an awesome guy and a great builder. I drove to his place yesterday to try it out and then drove back to NY to gig with it that night. With that being said, here we go:

My theme with this bass was clarity and accuracy. and it was absolutely dead on.

Sound: Piano-like clarity, thick full bottom and sparkling highs. It can shake the ground and then make dogs scramble. The audere is very flexible and can do so much. I tweaked it this morning and spent about an hour getting "my" sound out of it and it was just a matter of messing with the peaks and gains on the zmodes.

The pickups are very accurate. They don't let me get by playing sloppily, the force me to be on my game. I love it... I opted for an active passive switch. SAME SOUND in passive mode. And the controls are very Anthony Jacksonesqe which is a big turn-on. Other than that it sounds nothing less than amazing. It mixes well on stage and solos effortlestly.

Construction & Feel: The neck is a dream. It just flows. 90% of the little tweaks that i wanted i didn't even notice, it just happend. It allowed me to play and do my job. i have a zero fret with banjo frets on this one. I chose them to make the exact point where i hit the note very accurate and percise. and it worked. The body is solid and the strings are nice and taught. I have to get used to a 35, but i have large hands, i can manage. The Extender does it's job and is now set to a B, so i can play Carribean jazz projects version of Bemsha Swing. If you don't know, find out.

The finish is great. There are a couple of spotty parts but it is very even and appeasing to the eye, doesn't make the neck sticky either. The jack is solid and the knobs are VERY well place. I originally had a very specific request to have the knobs cascading at a certain angle, and it was too large for the cavity, but i asked for the same exact layout as anthony's ramirez and it's perfect. i can make all the changes i need in one sweep.

Customer Service: I am annoying. VERY annoying. I change things last minute, i ask for special things, and i wake you up early. Wilser had NO issue with any of this and i love him for it. He's an amazing person and very accomidating, he worked with me and made my dreams come true. He updates often and has a good sense of humor.

Overall, on a scale from 1 to bacon, this is a jesus christ. I have one of the first of a long line of basses to be prized and tresured over in the future. Fodera, Ken Smith and Sadowsky need to watch out because Wilser is on his game. Everyone needs a Ramirez.

I'll have clips from rehearsals and gigs soon so look out for it. Now do i look happy?

IMG_0255.

IMG_0260.

2. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    First off, f*cking beautiful. Good job Wilser, you get better and better...

Secondly, it is very nice to hear a review of the Q-tuners. How is slapping on them? I'd imagine their clearness would sort of take the body out of the sound... does the Audere help fix that?

3. beautiful bass!!

4. His singlecut designs are some of my all time favorites. I bet that bass does not disappoint. Congratulations on such a beautiful instrument.

5. I want a Ramirez now!!

6. Bhuti

Bhuti

May 9, 2006
    Harlem, NY
    I have the action really low and i don't slap much. but slapping definatley has it's own character on q-tuners and i'll prolly be a love-hate thing. on the neck pickup it's an even amount of vintage and hi-fi in the slapping. There is roundness and body to the sound. There's also alot of attack and point to the notes. The chords are clear and very true. Meaning that the root is bassy, the extensions are ringy, and the mids of the chords are very well balanced. No one would fail ear training if this were recorded and used for examples.

7. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    One of my dream sounds. :eek:

I think Bhuti just spread a new disease to TB; RAS. Ramirez acquisition syndrome. I have it now.

Don't tell my health insurance agency. :(

8. That bass is absolutely stunning. Play it in good health!

I've discussed a bass with Wilser back in August and although I had to hold onto the money to pay for school, I remember him being such a nice guy to speak with. Very helpful, very cool. I still saved the e-mail of the bass I had in mind and I will definitely get back in touch with him when I am not in a bad financial state.

9. RLK

RLK

Apr 15, 2006
    Clinton Township, MI
    Congratulations on a beautiful instrument Bhuti!
    Sounds like it has met or exceeded your expectations.

Hats off (and thanks) for having the vision to commission Wilser on such a unique (demanding?) project.
    Following the progress of your bass in the luthier’s corner played a part in convincing me to commission a
    Ramirez for myself ( the fretless “Hybrid” Seven).
    Your review further cements the confidence that I made the right decision.

As a fellow “annoying” customer, I can only echo what you said about Wilser’s patience and his good-natured
    willingness to please.

I too have the feeling the Ramirez Bass Guitars could/should really take off.
    We’re lucky to be on the “ground floor” so to speak. :D

Again congrats! Look forward to the clips!

10. Bhuti, is there any chance you can show us a picture of the back of the bass?

11. Bhuti

Bhuti

May 9, 2006
    Harlem, NY
    There are a ton of Wilser's site, but here's a quick one i took with my camera.

IMG_0267.

12. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Here is another from the progress thread:
    [​IMG]

You can see how the transition block or whatever the f*ck you call it makes the set neck seem a little uneven.

13. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    Congrats! Will works very hard to make the instruments the best that they can be, it's great to see that it's appreciated!

14. Bhuti

Bhuti

May 9, 2006
    Harlem, NY
    I like the imperfections in my bass. I consider them humanistic qualities. that's why i like all the voids and bark in my top and headstock veneer. I don't see the transition when i play and niether does anyone else. But for the improvement of wilser's builds, it could be something to mention.

15. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Thats just ridiculous to even point out, its a hand built instrument, thats called CHARACTER! :scowl:

16. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Wilser always asks in the Luthier's Corner for us to point out anything at all because mostly every thread in there is one of his progress threads and everybody congratulating him on a job well done.

So, by his own desire, I pointed out the only slightest imperfection I could see from his pictures. I agree that it is character.

And rather than that insulting Wilser, I think it is more of a compliment. How much smaller a detail can I get when critiquing the bass? For that to be the only thing you can see shows that he really is an impressive luthier.

17. Thanks for the pictures of the back. I still think it looks fantastic.

18. Bhuti

Bhuti

May 9, 2006
    Harlem, NY
    That was all my opinion, nothing offensive. Just putting the "customer view" out there. Nothing more.

19. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    It was already pointed out in Luthiers corner, what was the point in pointing it out in the owners review? It makes it look like your trying to sway him away from the pride that he has in his new bass. If you don't feel that way thats cool, thats just the way it came across.;)

20. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Ok guys gotcha. No I wasn't trying to take anything away from Bhuti. I was trying to do the opposite.

To me I assume that every bass has its flaw(s) and that by only being able to point out that tiny detail showed how great the bass was made.