Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rhythm changes - last 2 bars before B section...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by sixontimber, Mar 25, 2004.

1. sixontimber

sixontimber

Aug 2, 2003
    scotland
    Hi - hope you can help...

What is generally regarded as the standard for the last two bars before B section in rhythm changes. I have seen so many variations...

in the key of Bb, for example, is it normal to have...

option a: - | Dm7 G7 | Cm7 F7 Bbmaj7 ||

option b: - | Cm7 F7 | Bbmaj7 ||

option c: - | Bbmaj7 Cm7 | F7 Bbmaj7 ||

option x: ... ?

???

The Real Book would seem to suggest option a (that's what it has for oleo and anthropology) and yet the abersold playalongs would suggest either b or c (for those same standards). I know I'm free to decide, but problems arise when there is a discrepancy between me and the other players - especially when depping for someone else and playing with people I don't know...?

Hope some smart guy can shed some light on the subject.

Cheers,

Douglas.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Actually all three are essentially the same thing.

Imagine that the last two bars were just Bbmaj7. All three options work towards landing on the Bb by traveling the circle of fifths:

Option c is the classic ii -> V substitution for the I chord. Option a simply extends the sequence and option c displaces it rhythmically.

As far as what to play, on the first chorus keep your ears open and listen to what your bandmates do. Or better yet, ask them before you start the tune.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's right - you could play the same thing over each - just pedal, for example - or hopefully vary it every time!! ;)

Improvising is what it's all about and you don't have to stick to slavishly following the chords, as long as it sounds good to you and all fits together - a pianist might decide to vary this, every time anyway!! :)

4. sixontimber

sixontimber

Aug 2, 2003
    scotland
    Thanks for your replies.

Yeah - I know they all work, I was just curious as to what was the most common place. Problems arise where I might, for example, play option a and the pianist/guitaris vamps option b. If we are both really outlining the chords throught the progression, it can make things a little ill-defined.

I end up just playing some Bb scalar thing when it comes to those bars anyway ;) :meh:, especially when the tempo is approching the 300 mark!

Douglas.