1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rhythm Changes?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by JetJazz, Dec 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    GEOFF AIN'T NO EDDIE KHAN,

you do not always need fancy substitutions and reharmonizations to bring new life into a tune. And this is without to say, that in many many gigs you will have to play the changes everyone else is using (like at a Jam session). Then what do you do?

Johnny Hodges never played a substitute chord ever. Did he need to? he always played GORGEOUS. It's easy to fake depth through technical complexity. It's mighty hard to play something deep with few notes. Do you get what I'm trying to say? if not, figure it out alone, it will help you.

Bottom line: How does it sound????

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I still get the sense that you are overly fascinated with the finger....

3. Hahah, of course not. But you had to say this anyways just to insure that there wasn't any confusion, right? Lol.
    Then what will I do? Play the changes that everyone else are playing! When in a jam session, you can usually bring in small reharmonizations and people will catch on -- at least the people I play with easily catch on.

Cool, cool! That's nice, but if I hear a reharmonization that fits with what everyone else is playing, I will play it. I understand your point, though.

Right, so if it sounds good to play some certain complicated thing in a certain part of the song, should I play it?

At one of Kenny Werner's clinics, he was talking about this sort of thing. Next time he has a gig or clinic around where you live, by all means attend. He has some very wise things to say.

I went to a Preservation Hall Jazz Band concert a few months ago. It was as boring as all-get-out for me! I mean, it's not that I didn't like their music or that they weren't good musicians, it's that they never dared to venture out of the musical idiom. They never experimented at all, they just played the same old stuff over and over.

I'm going to go listen to some Keith Jarrett now. :)

I'll ignore that rude comment. Please think about what you wrote before clicking the "submit reply" button. ;)

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Please make sure that you have correctly identified the reference before jumping to conclusions.

I wash my hands of this.

5. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    On a related note, I should be so lucky as to one day create such a great solo that I'll always play it during that tune, and people will always ask for it. No need to "experiment" there.

Dude - in due time hopefully you shall understand certain things......over and out from me, back to Cyprus for now! :mad:

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I'm out, too. Don't want to waste any more time, or annoy this pig further....

7. I'm with you Pac I'll sit back and watch others get in a tangent
    But what would be better is if this thread closes b/c it's just gonna go on like this

8. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    But wait guys - you can't shut this down yet - I haven't finished MY RC bridge re-harm! It's going to traverse 4 key centers in alternating minor 2nd, major 3rd, and minor 6th modulations building to a 1 key per beat cycle 4 bar turnaround!

:p

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    sounds kinky!

:D

10. Tricky, I see you're still talking about the monk story. Very clever! At first I thought you were being vulgar, but now I understand. You were just trying to tick me off more.

Oh it's definitely a waste of your time trying to annoy me and brag to me what a better musician you are, as fun that it may be. Sometimes you just have to shut up and play. I'm suprised you still haven't learned that lesson.

You know what, at this point I really want to call you many nasty names, but I realize that that is fruitless. I really, truly feel sorry for you people. I hope one day you'll learn to listen and learn from people despite their age, experience, or playing ability.

The reason you don't listen to people is you think you know everything. You're just SO good, aren't you? So good that you don't give a darn what other people think. It's going to take one big kick in your pants to wake you up, I'm sorry to say.

Why don't one of you moderators lock this thread now, please. It should've been locked up a long time ago, I'm suprised this goofery has lasted this long.

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    man, kid, grow up already

12. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Against my better judgement.....

Please refer me to where I said that I'm a better musician than you. I've got some ideas, and I've got pretty good insight to your experience, but I've NEVER said I was better than you.

You know, my piano player - the one on the CD that you heard a few pieces of - is quite young. Not much older than you, in fact, Geoff. I've learned more from him than almost any other musician I've ever worked with. You're assuming that I treat everyone younger than me like you. That's not the case at all. But, he doesn't communicate like you do, either.

Again, I know where I stand as a musician, and I'm much closer to the foot of the mountain than its peak. But I've also been on the path for a while, and have grown to be able to tell the difference between someone who's been there, and someobody who just saw it on a map. And those who have been there kick my butt every day, and I suppose on good days I kick the pants of my younger colleagues.

You know, it occurs to me that you've got your nose bent out of shape because we're not listening to you. But I did[]/i] listen to you, geoff. I just didn't agree with you. It may suprise you to learn that those two things are not the same. I listened to you, weighed what you had to say against the knowledge my experience has afforded me, and came to my own conclusion. You see how that works?

I'm sure that the Mod of this forum hasn't closed it yet because he's having a good time watchng this - it's educational in many ways.

13. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska

See? That's how you same something beautiful with simplicity!

My post is too reharmonized ;)

14. Okay, to everyone paying attention to this thread, I retract the my last post. That was way too harsh and uncalled for. I totally sounded like an *******, in fact, all throughout this entire thread. The fact is that I have different ideas and opinions than Pacman and Ed Fuqua. It was wrong of me to try to impose those beliefs on both of them, especially when they are more experienced musicians than I am. So...

I'm truly sorry, guys, for acting like that. I hope you all can forgive me.

15. No crime was committed here. No animals were harmed in the making of this thread.

I've seen worse.;)

Stick around, and you're bound to find yourself in many other stimulating musical conversations--and many if not most of them, I guarantee, will be less, uh, *bracing* than this one has turned out to be.:bassist:

16. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    No harm, no foul - let's get on to music!

By the way, for those who checked out my clips, keep an eye on that page in the next few days. The final mixes of those clips are done, mastered, and Damon was kind enough to host the whole CD (for a while) so that if you want a free CD (totally legal) you can download and burn it. I'm pretty happy with the way everything came out - both upright and electric, as well as the whole band.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.