1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ric on the bay too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EVILFACE, Mar 11, 2008.

1. EVILFACE

EVILFACE

Feb 28, 2008
    Hello, new here. Had a 81 4001 about 10 years ago and it eats at me for getting rid of it, so I'm looking for a replacement.

This 4003 is on ebay, dude has a buy it now of $1k for the whole lot. Of course sounds too good to be true unless it doesnt exist or is a faker.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130204606482&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=003

I sent him a email and his reply was:

Whatchall think?

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    SCAM!

Western Union Money Transfer is laughable at best. Paypal is worldwide.

3. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    100% scam.

4. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    Alarm bells are ringing ....

5. I'd be wary of it. Lack of close-ups of the Rickie makes it sort of suspect.

6. EVILFACE

EVILFACE

Feb 28, 2008
    Yea, thought so, paypal is the only thing I use for the bay, and even a credit card on those to cover my ass!

The bass looks purdy though, lol

7. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    I'm kinda skeeved by the whole silent "first to the inbox" routine. I'd stay away just on that principle.

8. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Looks bad to me. Steer clear!!!

9. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

"So I can contact eBay and let them know about our transaction."

Scam. Scam. Scam.

Run far away.

10. That very one was taken down by eBay for some sort of violation. The guy's trying again, probably under a stolen account.

11. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Did anybody notice the auction is listed in the Stamps category?

It's a scam using a hijacked account.

12. I just reported that item---the guy has it categorized under stamps or something. He's trying to hide----eBay took it down about 3 days ago.

13. southshoreconor

southshoreconor

Oct 30, 2007
    The Road
    Endorsing Artist: Fender Musical Instruments, SIT strings
    the text that explains the illegal activity (BIN outside of ebay, etc.) is not actually "text" it is a picture of words. making it hard to track down using conventional search methods.

14. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    This smells rotten. I truly believe that if something seems too good to be true, it usually isn't true. Also, stay away from those who don't want to be contacted through ebay- they are usually collecting email addresses (and your money!).

15. The serial number is fake---rick serial numbers are 2 letters and then 4 numbers. This is fake, fake, fake.

16. EBay shut it down.

17. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Thankfully, eBay shut this one down permanently.

It always amazes me how sellers can expect you to believe that they'll conduct the entire transaction outside eBay, but they'll let eBay know about the transaction after it's done. Sure. I bet they're just can't wait to pay eBay their fees.

And I have a bridge I can sell you too.

It's against eBay's rules to start an auction and then complete it "outside" their web site. Everything has to go through them.

18. to quote a fellow TB'er

scamnot.