Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rick James RIP

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mike Dimin, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    CNN is reporting that Rick James was found dead in his LA home today. Although Rick had some problems during his life, he was a tremendous bass player. RIP Rick James

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I really hate to hear this news. I just saw Rick James on BET a month or so ago and he looked fine for whatever that is worth. :(

4. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Keep the low end rumblin wherever you are Rick.

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    a true funk pioneer and funky ass bassist- God bless his soul... rest in peace, Rick.

6. i just posted a thread about this in off topic a few minutes ago.. the same time you did! hah.. anyway that's really sad. he had some cool lines and one heckuva crazy life

7. Wow what a shame. RIP

8. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    "I'm Rick James, Bitch!"

Damn! What a shame...

~S~

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    What an epitaph.

RIP Punk Funk.

10. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Brad,

Listen up, it wasn't meant at ALL to be de-meaning. The quote was from the "Dave Chappell Show" where Rick was interviewed about some previous incidents in his "glory days", & Dave re-enacted them. I thought it was a great skit, funny & still keeping all the characters involved cool with each other & ALL true.

Anyway, I remember listening to "Superfreak" for the first time when it came out & loved that Ric sound(bought the same one shortly after, sorry I sold it).

Definetly "before his time" & a pioneer to the funk/rock era...

RIP Rick...

~S~

PS: I didn't know there was such a "well received" thread in the "Off Topic" sect...

11. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    I remember Rick James more for "Glo" because that was the song he also "performed" when doing his cameo on The A team.

I recently saw that episode again and I thought to myself: he's the only one who makes using a white Gibson explorer bass look cool. Remember, these were the eighties where your guitars had to be shocking pink or puke green.

I nailed the sound of "Superfreak" by using a set of flatwounds on my Rickenbacker, selecting the neck pickup and using a Boss Octaver. It's the octaver that does the trick.

Nevertheless he will be missed, was a great funkateer he was.

12. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    FWIW: epitaph = 1) An inscription on a tombstone in memory of the one buried there. 2) A brief literary piece commemorating a deceased person.

I don't think Brad took your epitaph negatively.

RIP Rick

[​IMG]

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

You're right, I didn't. I also didn't want to use a smiley because I couldn't think of an appropriate one.

Rick clearly had a sense of humor about that phrase, judging from what appeared to be his willing participation on the Chapelle Show. I could actually see that on his headstone.

I read that Dave might actually play Rick in a movie, based on the same vibe as the sketch. Wonder what'll happen with that now?

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

I didn't take it that way, D. Simple misunderstanding.

15. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Brad,

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm glad you got a little humor out of it(even though it's played out)!

cheers,
    ~S~

16. May he Rest in Peace... a great influence!!!

Long live the "Superfreak"!!!

17. [singing] I'm in love with Mary Jane she my main thing!!!

rest in peace, say hi to jaco, john, and noel for me.

18. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    While out of town I heard this bad news. RIP brother Rick.
    Thanks for you talent, your music, whether fast or slow. you will be missed! :crying: