1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

rickenbacker 1974 4001 genuine?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by --->Tombass<---, Apr 21, 2010.

1. --->Tombass<---

--->Tombass<---

Apr 13, 2010
    I HAVE FOUND A 1974 4001 RICKENBACKER FOR AROUND £250 THE SELLER SAYS THAT

"ITS BADGED RICKENBACKER. AND I HAVE BEEN TOLD ITS EARA WAS 1974. THE RICKY BADGE IS A GENUINE USA BADGE ITS RAISED AND HAS MADE IN USA. THIS IS A MONO BASS GUITAR ,I HAVE HAD THIS CHECKED OUT, I HAVE BEEN LED TO BELEIVE THAT IT WAS ORIGIONALY MADE BY ARIA OR IBANEZ IN 1974. THIS IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN TOLD AS MOST RICKYS WAS STERIO WITH DOUBLE TRUSS RODSTHIS ONE, I THINK IS A SINGLE AND ALSO AS STATED MONO. THE FRETS ARE ALL PERFECT AND NO WEAR, SLIGHT SCRATCHING AT END WHERE PLAYED ETCBUT IN GENERAL FANTASTIC CONDITION FOR ITS AGE"

I WAS HOPEING FOR SOME HELP IS THERE ANYWAY TO TELL ITS AUTHENTICITY?

ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED

CHEERS

2. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    Probably a fake, unless he can give you pictures (which if you do, promptly post them here) and a serial number.

3. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    WHAT???

4. --->Tombass<---

--->Tombass<---

Apr 13, 2010
    these are some pictures. i dont think theres a siral number is there any where i should look for one when i go to play it?

cheers

Tom

Attached Files:

5. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    I don't think there's anything unclear from the seller's description. The seller posted that it's most likely Ibanez or Aria, only badged as Rickenbacker. Of course, it's the tone that counts, so give it a play!

6. MaC_Bass

MaC_Bass

Aug 28, 2008
    dude its a fake... it doesn't even look like a decent copy, and he already stated that its an 'Aria or Ibanez' in the description. :)
    FYI nobody will sell a genuine 4001 pickup (bass or treble) for 250 pounds these days...

7. --->Tombass<---

--->Tombass<---

Apr 13, 2010
    yer i thought it was gonna be to good to be ture
    cheers anyway

8. I've seen that - it's on ebay UK.

Soon as I saw it, I was sure it's a fake. It'll probably get removed from the listings soon, as well.

9. He's not saying that its a real Rick, he's saying its exactly what it is - the '70s "Japanese Copy" with a genuine Rickenbacker Truss-Rod cover. In those days you bought a MIJ copy of a Fender P or J or even a Strat or a Les Paul. But whereas you had to change the Decal (Transfer) on a Fender, with a Rick, you simply bought the truss rod cover and hey presto - instant pose - ask Bruce Foxton!!.

10. toomanybasses

toomanybasses

Feb 20, 2009
    FYI: in 1974 the model number should be listed on the TRC, this one does not have it.

11. And people wonder why Rickenbacker is so careful about controlling release of new truss rod covers...

12. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    The serial is located on the jackplate.

13. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    actually not a bad price for a copy...

14. Yeah, the poster stated pretty clearly that it is a fake with a real truss cover... I don't see what the confusion is.

15. Randall

Randall

Aug 6, 2009
    Canada.
    Looks like a nice copy to me. low ball him and put some real rick pickups in her and :bassist:

16. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    FAKE!

RIC has never put the serial # on the TRC. It would be on the stereo jackplate.

17. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    FAKE!!

18. Probably plays better than the real thing. :bag:

19. I can guarantee it doesn't play better than my 4003S/5 simply because I have a low B. :D

20. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Please......spare me.:rollno: