Rickenbacker 4003 "new slim profile neck"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wild Steve, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Wild Steve

Wild Steve

Dec 19, 2010
    Saw a bass dealer listing their newly-arrived Rickenbacker 4003 stock with "new slim profile neck" - anyone know anything about that?
    Thanks

BrentSimons, SanDiegoHarry and PeterH like this.
  2. PeterH

PeterH

Dec 31, 2015
    Not New York
    Interested to hear the answer; which bass dealer was it?

BrentSimons likes this.
  3. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

It would be welcome news if they are doing that. Apart from cost, finding a neck I can live with is the main thing that has prevented me getting a Ric.

4. PeterH

PeterH

Dec 31, 2015
    Not New York
    I hope it's not a misnomer as the "new width" thing is on all the 4003s's...

5. Wild Steve

Wild Steve

Dec 19, 2010
    It says "new slim profile neck" and also full-width inlays - is that how the used to be in the very early days and for years they have stopped short, now gone back to full-width? We need some Rick-geek input here :)

6. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    4003, 4003s & 4004 neck profiles are all the same.
    The necks are all CNC routed, and have had the same profile for many years now.
    Full width inlays (on the 4003) have been standard since 2008.
    Resident Ric expert Paul Boyer may have more to say on this if he chimes in.

byoung93888 likes this.
  7. Wild Steve

Wild Steve

Dec 19, 2010
    I thought there had been great variability in neck profiles over the last 20 years or so? Sure I read recently about them getting fatter for a while around 2008 and then slimmer again? I tried a Ruby a while back and it felt very fat compared to my 2011 4003.

8. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Neck profiles were standardized around 2009.

My old 2008 had one of the slimmest neck profiles I've ever felt, but I've played others from around that time period that felt like baseball bats.

BrentSimons and SanDiegoHarry like this.
  9. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Even though they are CNC'd, It's really down to the last person to sand the neck, some thinner, some fatter. Somebody did a comparison of Ric neck thickness a while back and found it's only around 1/16" to 1/8" difference, but that's enough to feel it. If you want a really thin neck you have to look at 70's models, but even then it wasn't consistent year to year. My 79' was scary thin and pretty stable, but some of the really thin ones had neck problems, so it's a crap shoot. The newer profile feels like a P Bass to me, but it's not uncomfortable.

10. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Out there!
    On basses, the FWI started with the introduction of the 4001 model in the early 1960s. and were phased out by late Spring of 1973. Those were the "full depth" (pretty deep routes in the fingerboard) version and were made with various materials over the years (poured resin, crushed pearl, etc.), most changes occurring throughout the 1960s. From the transition time up through early 2008 the inlay's routes were made narrower (fingerboard edge to edge) to add strength to the necks. In early 2008 FWI were reintroduced using a plastic kind of material that is much thinner allowing for a shallower route in the fingerboard to maintain even greater strength of the neck.

11. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I'm right there with you. I have always though they were a very cool looking / sounding instrument.

12. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Rickenbacker necks tend to run in batches from year to year; this year's necks may very well be slimmer (top to bottom) than last year's - or they may be a little thicker... I have a sneaky suspicion that John Hall decides this stuff, by flipping a coin at the factory Christmas party. But, as Gilmourisgod said, there's considerable hand finishing on a Rick, and the neck profile will differ from bass to bass. Quite a bit, sometimes. Someone posted a list of "Thick neck/Thin neck" by year, on the Rickresource forum a few years ago. Personally, I don't know how useful it is; my 2001 COY 4003 is supposed to be from a "thick" year, but it's neck is almost exactly the same profile as the very skinny neck on my '73 4001. Which makes me happy, but so much for lists... Like I've said before; if ever there was a bass that you must have in your hands before you buy, it's a Rick....:whistle:

13. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    Plot twist, it's an april fool's joke. :D

BrentSimons and Garret Graves like this.
  14. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    Very much so. First time I tried a Rick, I didn't like it. Second time, loved it. It changes a lot.

BrentSimons and Spidey2112 like this.
  15. Yeah my '08 4003 has a pretty slim neck compared to the chunkier neck on the new '17 I tried out last week.

BrentSimons and superdick2112 like this.
  16. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Agreed, Harry... impresses at the modest dive bar, and is a worthy accessory on a space voyage to the Shazbot system of Antares West...

BrentSimons likes this.
  17. guitarbrent

guitarbrent

Feb 16, 2016
    Virginia
    My new 2017 Jetglo is perfect. Definitely not thin.

18. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Consistency not the watch-word at Rick...

danosix and andruca like this.
  19. The neck on the one Ric I've tried was incredibly comfortable. I really can't describe it. Fast like a Jazz neck, but girthy like a Precision neck somehow, at the same time.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022